Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter526
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

An 0800 number keeps disconecting when I phone it

Go to solution

Hello All - this is my first post on the community and I hope that someone will be able to help me, thanks.

My electricty supplier is 'Powershop' and their only contact number is freephone  0800 009 3719. During the past eighteen months I have been with this company I've no trouble in contacting them on this number, but when I tried to phone about a week ago this is what happened. I got the dialing tone and then I heard the auto message stating 'all calls will be monitored' etc, then I was cut off with a continious dailing tone, then silence. Since this I have tried calling them many times, but I'm cut off in the same way each time.

I have already contacted BT directly and they say that this is a bit of a strange problem, they've checked my landline and it's all working well and when they tried to dial through directly to Powershop on the same 0800 number, they got through to them, so the Powershop number is ok, but at this time they can't seem to sort the problem out for me, and as the phone number in question is the only contact to my electricity supplier, I really need to get his issue sorted.

Just to let you know, I have tried phoning other 0800 numbers and can get through to them without any problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Peter526

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: An 0800 number keeps disconecting when I phone it

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Do you pay BT Retail for your calls, or are they routed via a different provider, and they bill you for calls?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

Peter526
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hello Keith_Beddoe, mant thanks for replying to my question.

I pay all my BT bills directly to BT on a monthly standing order - I hope this is what you need to know.

Peter526

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@Peter526 wrote:

I pay all my BT bills directly to BT on a monthly standing order - I hope this is what you need to know.

Peter526

Thanks, I was just making sure that you were not on CPS (Carrier Preselect Service), and all your call are actually routed over the BT Network.

It is a bit of a strange one, especially if its specific to that provider. Does the call drop out right away, or after you have pressed a button to select an option?

Have you tried using a different phone plugged into your phone socket?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Peter526wrote:

Hello All - this is my first post on the community and I hope that someone will be able to help me, thanks.

My electricty supplier is 'Powershop' and their only contact number is freephone  0800 009 3719. During the past eighteen months I have been with this company I've no trouble in contacting them on this number, but when I tried to phone about a week ago this is what happened. I got the dialing tone and then I heard the auto message stating 'all calls will be monitored' etc, then I was cut off with a continious dailing tone, then silence. Since this I have tried calling them many times, but I'm cut off in the same way each time.

I have already contacted BT directly and they say that this is a bit of a strange problem, they've checked my landline and it's all working well and when they tried to dial through directly to Powershop on the same 0800 number, they got through to them, so the Powershop number is ok, but at this time they can't seem to sort the problem out for me, and as the phone number in question is the only contact to my electricity supplier, I really need to get his issue sorted.

Just to let you know, I have tried phoning other 0800 numbers and can get through to them without any problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Peter526

Hi @Peter526,

Out of curiosity I tried the number, having withheld my number with 141.  The phone was answered with an automated "welcome to powershop" but then cut off.

I then tried without withholding my number and was connected.

So, have you started withholding your number ?

Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@Peter526wrote:

Peter526

Just wondering if that's the right number now. Looking at their website, it's an 0808 number (still freefone, not sure from mobiles) - though the code for their site still shows the 0800 number.

So maybe they are changing the contact number

pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @Andy_N,

Did you read my post ?

Peter526
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

The call drops out once I've heard the auto message. It doesn't get as far as the option buttons. 

Just thinking aloud here - is it possible that Powershop has somehow deselected me from phoning them, although I wouldn't know why they would do that even if they could, I am certainly not a nuisance customer.

Another bit of information you might fine useful is that everyone who signs up with Powershop manages their electricity online in a interactive way, and everything is working as it should there.

Peter526

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

If you are withholding your number, then try dialling the number again, with the prefix 1470, that will release your number, see if it helps?

Peter526
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Hello pompey1898,

Very interesting, I think you may have somethig here.

I haven't just started withholding my phone number, I've always had it as withheld, so there's no difference there, But I have found out that Powershop in the last ten days or so have just installed a new phone stytem, so could this be where the conflict is? 

0 Ratings