cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Descolada
Message 1 of 5

Antique Ringer Repeater

Go to solution

I have what appears to be a ringer / repeater hanging above my door that I have been trying to identify. This thing is antique and has been connected to BT lines (I looked inside the box). But it carries no markings, manufacturer model or voltage warnings of any kind - I am trying to  identify it and was hoping that someone here might know what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Des Colada

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Antique Ringer Repeater

Go to solution

This website has all the info you need.

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/bells.htm

Its a bell 64D.

It should be connected between the "bell" wire of the master socket, and the "A" leg. It may reduce the volume of existing ringers.

I remember these from many years ago Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Descolada
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Blimey Keith, that was way quicker than I expected and thank you so much. I have been searching everywhere for something on this one. Am I right in thinking this was wired on a 24volt system?

Thanks again, most impressed Smiley Very Happy

Des

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

No, it operates on the standard 80V AC ringing current from the exchange.

Actually the solenoids inside are magnetised. This was to allow the bell to operate more efficiently.

It has to be wired via the bell capacitor in the master socket to prevent it short circuiting the line.

I used to work with these in the early 1970s.

0 Ratings
Descolada
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Outstanding.

Given that it has to operate on a relatively high voltage (and I see for the site you pointed me to that these can be converted to work on modern systems) would it be possible to take that a step further and convert it to a door bell ringer?

Des 

0 Ratings