cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robhiston
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

At the end of my tether with ADSL broadband! Advice please!

I have been experiencing problems with my ADSL broadband for a year. I am less than 1km from my BT exchange. I currently use an independent ISP (Zen) and my own modem (Billion BiPAC 7800N).

Symptom 1: Intermittent audible noise on voice line which is accompanied by ADSL modem randomly losing sync. The noise on the voice line sounds like crackling or someone rustling cellophane, or sometimes squeaking. If I turn off the modem or unplug it from the microfilter, the noise on the voice line generally gets quieter or stops.

Symptom 2. Intermittent modem sync loss a few seconds after picking up or putting down phone receiver.

I have tried everything I can think of: brand new modem, turning router off/on, new microfilters (x3), plugging permanently into test socket, ditched Siemens cordless phone and using BT branded corded, changed ISP, disconnecting all other household appliances when the probelm occurs. I have only the master socket, no extensions.

BT have sent engineers on 3 occasions, but the problem never occurs when they are here. They have replaced the master socket, and wiring inside my house terminating in a new black sausage connector at my fascia board. They have fiddled around on the telephone pole across the street, and in the green cabinet down the road. They have put meters on the line. But they say the line is absolutely fine. They are quite happy to close the ticket every time, even though I have not agreed the problem is resolved. Sometimes the problem recurs within hours of the engineer leaving. Yet sometimes the problem goes away for days or weeks, but has always returned.

Can anyone give any advice on getting this resolved? It is driving me, almost quite literally, insane.

I am just about to throw in the towel, cancel the BT line rental and the ISP contract, and try switching to cable, which I feel now I should have done a long time ago. BT just do not seem willing to put the effort in to get to the bottom of this problem. It would seem like common sense to agree to send an engineer out on a day when the problem is occuring, but this seems completely out of the question to such a sophisticated company.

Thanks

Rob

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: At the end of my tether with ADSL broadband! Advice please!

as you are not with BT for broadband there is nothing the forum can do for you but as phone with bt then try quiet line test dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal   if you now have noise esp[ecially if using the test socket then you need to report a phone fault to 151 of use this link 

phone faults

It is not BT retail who fix your phone it is openreach and it would not be practicable to have engineers on standby that can be sent out when you phone in with a fault

as this is a phone problem and not bt broadband I moved posts to phone section

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robhiston
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

When I get symptom 1 (noisy voice line) then, yes, dialling 17070 option 2, gives me, surprise, surprise ... a noisy line.

As I have explained I have been down the reporting route, and it hasn't worked. An engineer turns out eventually and all is fine and the ticket is closed.

I wonder if the NHS could learn from this cost saving approach used by BT?

Patient: I keep getting terrible pains in my chest.

Doctor: Have you got them now?

Patient: No.

Doctor: OK you're fine. If you get them again make another appointment to see me.

After three more appointments like this, patient dies of heart attack and the NHS is saved a shed load of money on costly heart surgery.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

this is not life and death so pointless comparison

you either keep reporting the fault or continue to get your ISP involved due to your broadband problems.  there is no way you are going to get an engineer on standby ready to dash out to you when you phone with a fault - if only

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
robhiston
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

I think my cost saving point is perfectly valid. If BT want to keep me as a paying customer it needs to work harder than it has done to investigate a problem with their network which has been outstanding for a year. I think your attitute is very much along the lines I have come to expect form this organization. Based on this, I'm now definitely going to give cable a try!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

if you read the top of the forum you joined you will see this is a forum where customers help customers and I like everyone else are customers just vlike you - the only BT employees are the forum mods.  you can't seriously expect and engineer on standby to drive to your home immediately you phone

Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Intermittent line faults are the most difficult to track you just have to keep getting an engineer out until it is solved
0 Ratings
robhiston
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

@imjolly wrote:

you can't seriously expect and engineer on standby to drive to your home immediately you phone

I am not for one moment suggesting I have a personal engineer on standby as you seem to be implying.

BT is a very large company with very many customers, and a measurable number of these have intermittent problems. Apart from myself, I have personally met quite a few in this category, and there seem to be a fair number voicing their problems on this forum.

It does not seem unreasonable to me for BT to adopt a different business process to such problems than currently. A proportion of the engineers could be in teams that respond specifically to intermitent faults and customers with such faults could expect, after a number of failed visits, to get hold of one on the day the problems are occurring. The current approach, whereby an engineer turns up many days after a customer has gone through a day of hell, with inaudible voice line and non-existent broadband, only to shrug, say no fault found, and close the ticket, is quite lamentable. It is deeply frustrating and insulting to customers in equal measure. Still, I suppose it keeps the senior management happy by minimizing outstanding fault numbers, so keeping performance bonuses intact, etc. However, it does nothing for elevating the status of BT in the eyes of customers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

It is not BT retail that provide this forum who maintain the network it is Openreach who do that and under OFCOM rules cannot give BT Retail any preferential service over any other provider eg talk talk sky or any isp / phone provider  This link explaains more http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/faqs/

0 Ratings
robhiston
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

I don't have a contract with Openreach. BT Openreach don't talk to customers as you well know.

I have a contract with BT Retail to provide me with a serviceable phone line.The phone line has been faulty for one year.

If it is BT Openreach's problem to sort it, then BT Retail are not putting any effort into getting BT Openreach to deal with it. The sort of buck passing you have just alluded to seems absolutely entrenched in this business.

0 Ratings