Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 117

Re: Automated scam message?

Go to solution

@Jxt767wrote:

I’ve been getting a lot of these over the last few days, two from International numbers, so not recognised, others from 01952 775940, 01933 840699, 01983 983204, 01924 788096 and 01792 748956

all telling me by broadband has been compromised and to press 1, there may be more to the call, but I hang up at that point. I’ve had three today, it’s very frustrating!

Scammers do not call from these numbers, the number is spoofed by them using VoIP systems.

For example the numbers above beginning 01933 & 01983 are protected ranges not released by Ofcom.

BT Call Protect does not help as scammers use different called from numbers - yet BT will NOT explain this in their product advert. It's very disingenuous by BT not to say the system will not prevent this from happening. Indeed BTCare keep spouting that it will help to block the calls, it will not (apart from a very tiny proportion).

0 Ratings
Jxt767
Beginner
Message 22 of 117

Go to solution
Thanks for the info
0 Ratings
poldark1
Message 23 of 117

Go to solution

I have had 2 calls so far today the number is 012161766873 have now blocked the number , will these people stop at nothing!!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 117

Go to solution

Yes there are gangs of these corrupt oiks. They use a voiced teletext message "This is BT your Internet will be going off for a few days!" When you ring back on 1471 it is unobtainable. Virgin are aware and it is a big problem. Also ensure even the REAL BT or Virgin are who they say they are? I was caught like this. The crooks were waiting for me to calll the real Virgin and intercepted the phone call. I lost my Internet for two days. twice over.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 25 of 117

Go to solution
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 117

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @poldark1,

Report it here https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901810

You don't report it on the above link, that is a link to the thread telling you about the new form. Reporting spam call on that thread will not be sent to BT.

This is the link to the form that you use to reprt it.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

pompey1898
Expert
Message 27 of 117

Go to solution

Hi @gg30340,

My first reaction was to provide the direct link but then I thought it better to provide a link to Sean's post which would give @Angel17 more background.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 117

Go to solution

Your post seemed to imply that the poster was to report them on that thread so I was just adding clarity.

0 Ratings
Angel17
Beginner
Message 29 of 117

Go to solution
Hi all, Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated. im still getting the calls but now only on a Monday or Tuesday before 10am - bizarre
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 117

Go to solution

@Angel17wrote:
Hi all, Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated. im still getting the calls but now only on a Monday or Tuesday before 10am - bizarre

Hi.

I assume the calls are "from" different numbers?

As I mentioned elsewhere a lot of times, the scammers use VoIP systems and spoof their number. BT Call Protect will not help as they change their number.

They also seem to call different numbers either in rotation, or from a list to stop them calling numerous times - though some people will get these continuosly - others will not have received a scam call yet. It's these latter ones that may be the worst, since a first call like this might frighten the recipient into reacting and falling for what the scammers are saying to them.

0 Ratings