Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 111 of 117

Re: Automated scam message?

Go to solution

Hi @Raven ,

These numbers are randomly spoofed using VIOP, so it would not have been a local call.

You did the correct thing in hanging up.

Raven
Beginner
Message 112 of 117

Go to solution

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, but it is worrying when its only a couple of digits on the last two near my own..it makes me wonder if somebody is complaining about my number be used as a fake call.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 113 of 117

Go to solution

By coincidence, I’ve had a “local” caller coming through at least 4 times in the past few days. Number seemed to be genuine.....thought it was the Surgery, but two digits were transposed, and anyway that number is now extinct. The call was the usual “your connection is being terminated”.

The polite way to deal with such callers is to add to your blacklisted numbers.

If you keep using the BT Report a Scam Call utility, then they are blocked, - eventually - ,and your phone will not even ring. So it’s good practice to check on 1572 periodically.

Callers will find a new number to use, but the blocking technology improves over time.

0 Ratings
TALON1973
Contributor
Message 114 of 117

Go to solution

I just block / put phone down. Only complete fall for that **bleep**.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 115 of 117

Go to solution

@Ribblelancswrote:

If you keep using the BT Report a Scam Call utility, then they are blocked, - eventually - ,and your phone will not even ring.

Do you have any evidence to support that?

I would suggest that they are not all blocked using the scam reporting system. A lot of the numbers are in unused or protected ranges - which may be blocked, however the ALL ranges are controlled by OFCOM. Many "calls" are in ranges that are allocated to all sorts of companies - BT can't block them by default as they will be unable to determine their actual use. Some spoofed calls are valid numbers, which will never be blocked.

Even calls within valid ranges that are unallocated (if rung back "not recognised" is returned), they can't be blocked as they may well be allocated in the future.

With any "system" blocking method, care needs to be taken not to block innocent numbers

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 116 of 117

Go to solution

Yes, I think I do.

Try a CPR call blocker.

It blocks anything, willy nilly.

You will not have many friends left though.

There’s always the brute force method. Must be a fortune there for an enterprising Taxidermist, who is willing to accept forwarded calls,.....at a price!

0 Ratings
Raven
Beginner
Message 117 of 117

Go to solution

Oh yeah, I have a cpr call blocker with it's nice red button but I didn't want to block what looked like an innocent number until I went through my little pnone book...now I have I can safely block it. Thanks everyone.