cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulD101
Message 1 of 6

Average waiting time for phone repair

HI I was just curious as to the average wait for a phone repair (posting this from my car on wifi).

We live out in the countryside and had a car break a telegraph pole with our line. This wasnt BTs fault and these things happen..

but since then ive struggled to find out what is going on re the repair, every time i ring i get told "another 48 hours"  at the moment it has been 12 days since the break and we are still without a phone line, not just us but all 20 houses in the village..

To get reliable mobile signal we have to drive up to 1/2 mile away, We have a lot of elderly people in the village who reply on phone connection (even had a relation rush out 100 miles as they thought our neighbour had died as they couldnt get through on phone)

My wife cant order her medication online and I work almost solely from home over the internet so this is a complete disaster

Im not sure what the average wait time for a repair is, but surely almost 2 weeks is excessive.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Average waiting time for phone repair

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media.

Do you have your phone service with BT Retail, or another provider?

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

@PaulD101, you say a car accident damaged the pole in your village? If that is the case then you as a community must make absolutely sure to claim, for the inconvenience of losing your services, from the car insurance of the vehicle that damaged said supply. You may find that the vehicle was not insured (not a legal use of the vehicle, that is) so your claim would be against the person who caused the damage, and Openreach will be pursuing these matters also, I'm sure. Good luck and best regards.

0 Ratings
cme1
Message 4 of 6

Hi,  this sounds remarkably familiar.  We have now been 14 days without phone or internet.  We also have no mobile signal at home so have to drive up the road to make contact with anyone. We first reported a fault on 23rd September. We have been in touch with BT 5 times now and each time they arrange a repair date two working days ahead.  On each occasion this date passes with no repair.  Our latest date to expect reconnection is 10th October but I have little faith now that this will be acheived. 

I believe that BT are contracted with its customers to arrange a reconnection within two working days so if this doesnt happen you are entitled to apply for compensation for the failure in service.  However you are only able to instigate this one the supply has been reconnected and of course you have to go through the normal help number and get put through to someone who has the authority to arrange this.  

Our property is at the end of the line and we are beginning to think that we must find an alternative to the standard land line as this is not an isolated incident for us.  However we know that the alternatives can be very expensive but we have to balance that against the inability to keep in contact with work.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

If a pole is to be replaced, even if it's a like for like replacement, the chances are that the local council need to receive notice, and grant OR or its contractors permission to work in the 'highway' and depending on the location, road type etc, of the pole it may be the council requires a significant notice period, if traffic management is also required , that also needs to be arranged...sometimes a delay is inevitable , if the council, for arguments sake, is requiring a months notce  before the works can start

0 Ratings
kd035050
Message 6 of 6

We have been 5 weeks with no phone or broadband and no date for the repair yet, absolutely unacceptable time frame. Good luck!
0 Ratings