Did you mean: 
Highlighted
simonm10
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT 6500 answerphone - call screening not working

Go to solution

Hi all,

I wanted an answerphone that can be set to be un-obtrusive as possible, and completely silent when needed, so I went for the 6500 as it advertises a do not disturb feature:

1 -  Do not disturb mode - this works, but is pretty cumbersome to enable / disable (menu, call control, <Pin Number>,incoming calls, do not disturb,On/off, Save ) so hardly conducive to easy acces / daily use. Dissapointed there is not a simple button control on the base station to turn this mode on or off (like the answerphone on/off button would have been ideal).

2 - I tried to turn call screening off via the menu (Answer phone, settings, call screening, Off), but when the phone rings, the answerphone answers after 4 rings, and the answer message still plays out loudly, and then you can hear the caller leave their message. So call screening option doesnt appear to work?

3 - When the caller hangs up, the answer phone base station plays "THANK YOU FOR CALLING" - seems very stupid and pointless thing to do, seeing that the caller cannot hear this message. To me it's just more needless noise, dissapointing, I wonder if it can be turned off?

So I'm hoping that at least point 2 is just me not setting it up correctly? Has anyone else tried to turn off call screening on this phone? 

Thanks,

Simon.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
simonm10
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT 6500 answerphone - call screening not working

Go to solution

So I found out a bit more....

The "Call screening" option refers to the phone handset, not the base station! But there is a volume control on the base station, so you can turn the volume down to zero et voila! You dont hear the answerphone message or incoming calls, perfect!

So I can also achieve pretty much what I wanted now without needing to fuss with the do not disturb option:

1 - Base statio nvolume to zero

2 - Turn off base station ringer (so have to rely only on handset ringer)

3 - Handset has an easy access mute functio (press & hold *) - so easy to toggle the whole system on/off silent mode.

So there are enough features, just, to achieve what I wanted to do.

0 Ratings
Bib1
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

You may be interested in other probelems with this phone - see thread "BT6500 not ringing all handsets" Link .

You may also be interested that, for privacy reasons, the NHS are not allowed to identify their calls. So all calls from your Doctor or hospital will be blocked as 'Unavailable' or 'Withheld'. If you divert their calls to an answering machine, they are not allowed to leave a message.
Result: Your Doctor or hospital will not be able to contact you

0 Ratings
simonm10
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Hi Bib1,

Yes thanks for that. Must admit, I find the whole "Nuisance call block" feature a bit pointless, its bordering on mis-selling in my view. The feature is nothing more than crude blanket blocking approach - totally useless if you need to receive the occasional overseas call or "unidentified" call from the NHS etc. 

For me personally, I'm not too bothered by nuisance calls, so I didn't buy the phone for that reason (I guess I am in the minority).

0 Ratings