cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cameron13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT CALL PROTECT DOES NOT WORK ON FIBRE LANDLINE

I can confirm that customers who have their landline supplied by Fibre, FTTH.  Will NOT be able to activate any call protection features as they are totally incompatible with BT's fibre landlines.  As confirmed by BT themselves.

As I dont use or need my landline,  and because of lots of nuisance calls,  many being BT scam calls,   BT advised I unplug my landline, which I have done.  However I find it ridiculous that I need to unplug my phone because I cannot use any call blocking features.

This obviously applies to every BT customer who have FTTH and will affect lots of people in the UK.

In effect I am paying for something that is unfit for its purpose,  but I'm forced to pay for it even though I dont need or want it,  therefore I shall be notifying Ofcom and publicise this fact as people need to be aware that they have NO protection or any way to block unwanted calls on FTTH other than to unplug their phone as advised by BT.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
albertj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT CALL PROTECT DOES NOT WORK ON FIBRE LANDLINE

If you get your internet through FTTP using Fibre cables, but your phone line is still delivered over copper; does this apply?

Thanks

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
cameron13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi Albert... no it does not apply,  yours will work fine, and you can use all the BT call protect features.

The problem is only applicable where Fibre supplies both phone and internet...IOW no other connection....jie..just Fibre,  which often tends to be on new housing developements these days.

So you are fine matey.

0 Ratings
albertj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

OK great. Thank you for your time.
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

OFCOM don’t deal with Customer Complaints, that’s not what they are there for.

Also they are aware some services that are available on the Public Switched Telephone Network aren’t available on the OGEA/OFVA Networks. 

Given OFCOM’s priorities are a Full Fibre Network for every home, business and school in the U.K. Exchange Service Facilities are not exactly high on the pecking order, especially as they given the Public Switched Telephone Network is due to be Switched off in the next 10 years.

0 Ratings
cameron13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

You could'nt be more wrong,  infact I was surprised to find that Ofcom were very interested and asked for more details,  confirming in a letter I received today,  giving me a case number stating they would investigate my complaint.

The Daily Mail too also requested full details as they said it was in the public interest that people should be informed.

However,  thank you for your contribution,   if one cannot enable Caller Id on FTTH  buying another phone with blocking features is a waste of money as they don't work if Caller Id cannot be enabled.  FACT!

You may be interested to hear that this was also discussed on Radio Cornwall last week during a phone-in show by a listener so it seems I'm not the only one who's unhappy that BT CANNOT PROVIDE ANY CALL PROTECTION FOR CUSTOMERS WHO ONLY HAVE FIBRE SUPPLYING THEIR PHONE. ...ie. FTTH

I pay £55 a month to BT,  if they cannot protect their phone line with Call Protection Features on FTTH only systems, then where it's not required, BT should NOT charge for it, as it is NOT fit for purpose.  BT managments advice to simply unplug the phone to quote Ofcom is 'totally unacceptable'.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

So you are upset that something that BT doesn’t charge for isnt available on a ‘line’ you say  have no need for ?,

Are you saying you want to be able to plug in a phone to your FTTP connection but feel unable to do this because of the frequency of unwanted calls, and if you could reduce the number by use of a free network level ‘barring’ system available on PSTN but not on FVA  you would plug  in your phone ?, but you say you don’t want or need a landline , so you seem to have taken issue with something that doesn’t affect you, so presumably you complaining on behalf of others,  that’s very ‘Daily Mail’  of you.

If BT don’t charge for a facility that is on PSTN connections, but is currently unavailable on FTTP FVA , how are you financially disadvantaged ?, would you feel better if BT give you a discount of £00.00 because you don’t receive up this free facility ?

You say this will affect every BT FTTP customer , but that is incorrect, as many FTTP customers get their telephony delivered over a copper pair /PSTN line, although admittedly ‘new sites’ type FTTP have no choice as no copper pair is provided.

You say you are paying for something that is unfit for purpose, how ?, can you make and receive calls on FVA , if the answer is yes, then obviously it’s fit for purpose, if FVA isn’t sophisticated enough for you, use someone else, it’s not just ‘BT’ that can supply service over Openreach FTTP

popestwo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I too have been let down over this - I had Call Protect on my landline and was happy with it, but then after I signed up to FTTP for my broadband, BT switched my landline from copper to fibre. Result - I no longer have Call Protect.  I'm not happy that BT downgraded my service without advising me or getting my agreement but there seems nothing I can do about it.

0 Ratings
cameron13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

BT should have clearly stated that Call Protect features dont work on Fibre only phones,  instead of customers finding out the hardway.  Why they have the options displayed on their website to activate Call Protect Features when they know they dont work is crazy,   they need to clearly state on their website that these features Do Not Work on Fibre only systems where no copper lines are supplied.

I have 2 BT mobile sims with unlimited calls,  which are used for all our phone use,  what I object to is the fact that if you use BT fibre for your internet BT force you to pay for a landline which you dont need or in some cases want.  So BT force you to pay for the landline which then causes annoyance due to lots of nuisance and scam calls because you cannot block calls as their Call Protection Features Dont Work on fibre Only systems.

My question is..... Why do BT force fibre only customers to pay for a landline they dont want or need ?   Especially when you have to leave it unplugged as advised by BT to resolve the nuisance calls problem.

As a previous poster stated,  as I dont use it, leaving it unplugged should not be a issue.....which is perfectly true,  and it would not be an at all issue if it were not costing me nearly £20 a month.   As its unplugged....In effect I'm paying  almost £20 every month for nothing. 

0 Ratings
cameron13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I notice that P*****t and 3 other FTTP providers are now offering FTTP without the need to pay for a landline,  its good to see deals coming along which does not require customers to pay for a unwanted landline.  Especially when those FTTP landlines have no call protection features.  I assume that because BT leases those FTTP services to other providers that their FTTP landlines don't support any Call Protect features either,  but at least you have the option not to have it if you don't want the landline.

You just need to supply your OFT number which is the serial number on the back of your optical Fibre Terminal Box,  hopefully BT will offer the same deals in due course,  unfortunatly I still have a few months of my BT contract to run, but good to see we have more choice when we come to renew.

0 Ratings