Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stompa
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Call Guardian Problem

My BT8500 has a bug whereby if a number stored in contacts has a prefix (e.g. 1470), then Call Guardian doesn't recognise that number as being allowed. This means that callers from that number are forced to 'announce' themselves.

Has anybody ever found a way around this? Does anybody know if the newer BT8600 suffers from the same problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Call Guardian Problem

@StompaIf you are happy to add the prefix to all outgoing numbers, then it can be done using the PBX prefix option.

It does not affect incoming calls, which are stored as normal in the address book.

The alternative is to ask to have your number released on all calls.

Its not a bug in the phone software.

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@StompaIf you are happy to add the prefix to all outgoing numbers, then it can be done using the PBX prefix option.

It does not affect incoming calls, which are stored as normal in the address book.

The alternative is to ask to have your number released on all calls.

Its not a bug in the phone software.

Adding a prefix to all outgoing numbers, or having my number released on all calls is not really a suitable solution. I want my number to be witheld by default,  but have it unhidden for just some numbers in my contacts list, hence those have the 1470 prefix.

I'm at a loss to see it as anything other than a bug, though I suppose it could be attributed to poor design. Call Guardian should be able to determine that a number is in the contacts list, then allow it through. It's clearly failing to do so. The phone itself manages to determine that a call from a contact with the prefix is in the contacts list, as shown by the fact that it displays the correct contact name. With my software developer hat on, it looks like the phone itself and Call Guardian are using different algorithms to determine whether a number is in the contacts list.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

The phone uses the incoming CLI to identify a contact in your list. The CLI would not contain that prefix code.

The phone has to identify the number in real time, so there would be no way that it could ignore the first four digits stored in the address book, as they may be part of the actual number.

It would have to buffer the incoming CLI first, then see if it matches with any number in the address book If it did not, then it would have to look again, ignoring any 1470 at the start.

Not really practical on a consumer phone, but probably could be done with computer software.

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

The phone uses the incoming CLI to identify a contact in your list. The CLI would not contain that prefix code.

The phone has to identify the number in real time, so there would be no way that it could ignore the first four digits stored in the address book, as they may be part of the actual number.

It would have to buffer the incoming CLI first, then see if it matches with any number in the address book If it did not, then it would have to look again, ignoring any 1470 at the start.

Not really practical on a consumer phone, but probably could be done with computer software.

I'm not sure I understand. Where the CLI does not contain the prefix code, but the relevant number in the contacts list does, the phone will display the correct contact name. So it must be capable of finding that number in the list, even when that number has a prefix code in the contacts list.

If it's really down to being able to do it at speed, then why not allow the number (without prefix) to be added to the 'Allowed' list? Unfortunately that doesn't work, you just get a message saying 'Calls from <Fred> are already allowed' (which is clearly untrue).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I suppose its just down to softtware design, whoever is responsible for that, its probably a third party company.

This issue is likely to be common with all phones that screen incoming calls. I have the BT4600 but my number is not withheld. If I want to manually dial a number and withhold my number, I simply dial 141 at the start of the number.

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I suppose its just down to softtware design, whoever is responsible for that, its probably a third party company.

This issue is likely to be common with all phones that screen incoming calls. I have the BT4600 but my number is not withheld. If I want to manually dial a number and withhold my number, I simply dial 141 at the start of the number.

141 is fine, but I would probably forget sometimes! To avoid that possibility I prefer to have my number hidden by default.

As far as the software on the phone is concerned, my feeling is that they took an existing BT phone (& software) and rather crudely bolted on the Call Guardian software, but didn't make a very good job of it. Don't get me wrong, it does a great job of blocking unwanted calls, but the software is pretty buggy and poorly designed IMO.

0 Ratings