Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stompa
Contributor
Message 7 of 72

BT Call Protect Settings Problem

Go to solution

I thought that I had BT Call protect disabled. However, I've just received an email saying "This is a quick reminder that your BT Call Protect service is up and running and automatically sending known scam and nuisance calls to your junk voicemail", and having checked Call Protect is showing as ACTIVE.

If I log in and look at my Call Protect settings then I have the following:

Personal Blacklist = OFF
BT Blacklist = OFF
Withheld numbers = STOP
Unrecognised numbers = STOP
International calls = STOP

I assume that if I had:

Personal Blacklist = OFF
BT Blacklist = OFF
Withheld numbers = ALLOW
Unrecognised numbers = ALLOW
International calls = ALLOW

then Call Protect would essentially be switched off, is that correct?

If so, how do I set those last 3 to ALLOW? I can manually switch each of them, but the new settings don't appear to stick. So if I change them to ALLOW, move to another page then back again, they've reverted back to STOP. Same thing if I change them, log out, then log back in again.

Any ideas?

Alternatively, is there a way I can completely disable Call Protect?

Thanks

0 Ratings
71 REPLIES 71
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 1 of 72

BT Call Protect keeps switching off the Personal Blacklist

Go to solution

Why is my personalBlacklist being switched off. Everytime I blacklist a number the message comes up saying the personal blacklist is off and calls won't be sent to voicemail. I need to trust the system to filter my blacklist all the time unless *I*switch it off!

This has been going on for ages now - please fix it - having bouncy balls is not an improvement, please make the blacklist bigger and STOP switching it off!

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 2 of 72

Re: BT Call Protect keeps switching off the Personal Blacklist

Go to solution

Hi @RobFletcher,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

Is the Personal Blacklist turned on in your MyBT log in?

Check BT Call Protect for information on how to access the list.

Let us know please.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
JohnD3
Message 3 of 72

Go to solution

I get the same problem. Only happens intermittently, but a head scratcher as I never switch the personal blacklist off. Obviously shouldn't happen at all unless there's a system fault.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 72

Go to solution

I have had this happen once or twice as well, in that when I enter the MyBT web page it is claimed to be turned off. So I go the management web page and turn it back on. I do not have any evidence that it was actually switched off and letting calls through, as opposed to some web glitch. 

I have just found this discussion on the Community pages, that others have found this too.

0 Ratings
MAWE
Beginner
Message 5 of 72

Go to solution

I have had this problem for months and suspect the scammers have overcome the software somehow. 

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 6 of 72

Go to solution

Still happening noew and then. The scammers cange the numbers so often that 100 is not nearly enough. Also, numbers from months back to re-appear, so it's hard to know which ones to delete to make room. If the blacklisted numbers had a count against them so we know which ones keep turning up, that would help a little.

Ihave given up the blacklist completely and coughed up the £3 per month to use the Do Not Disturb and VIP List part of Call Protect. I have set it to send all calls to voice/junk mail 24/7, and then put the list of allowed calls on the VIP list; e.g. friends, family, doctors, carers etc ...

The number of calls sent to voicemail now stands at 505, I still see the last 20 calls as usual. VIP numbers are shown with a green dot. So far, the phone has ONLY rung with legitimate numbers, no scam calls in months, even though they are coming in fast and furious!

I cannot recommend this enough, especially if you are looking after a phone for a relative like me. I have also disabled the 1471 ringback as well - saves a few pennies, and a lot of grief if she called a scammer, and got through!

My mum's phone is beautifully silent, and she does not get bothered early morning or late at night.

Rob

0 Ratings
barnpiece
Expert
Message 8 of 72

Re: BT Call Protect Settings Problem

Go to solution

I also found that the online settings were not showing what I had set up.
I haven't had time to investigate to try to find out why yet.

Dial 1572 and you can check/change BT Call Protect using your phone.

Richard

0 Ratings
Stompa
Contributor
Message 9 of 72

Go to solution

@barnpiecewrote:

I also found that the online settings were not showing what I had set up.
I haven't had time to investigate to try to find out why yet.

Dial 1572 and you can check/change BT Call Protect using your phone.

Richard

Thanks, I've just given that a try. Confusingly 1572 uses different terminology for those three settings, ON/OFF rather than the STOP/ALLOW that is used online. All three are currently set to OFF. Logically I would have thought ON=STOP and OFF=ALLOW, which means 1572 and online disagree. It's not entirely obvious how to determine which is actually correct, but my hunch is that it's online that is at fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 72

Go to solution

Hi @Stompa thanks for posting. When your BT Call Protect service is provided, the call type categories will be set to ‘allow’, meaning you'll continue to receive calls from these numbers. By changing the setting to ‘stop’, calls from these numbers will be sent to your junk voicemail.

You can turn off the Call Protect service in My BT by clicking on the 'Manage Landline' then Manage Calling Features' and choose the option to 'Remove Messaging services'.

Post back if you need any further help.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings