cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

BT Call Protect - Unrecognised - Definition

Hi, I have just signed up to Call Protect

In the Blacklist options there are options other other call types, and it says choose which type of calls you want to receive.

Options.JPG

With the settings as above, I would assume withheld numbers would be blocked because I haven't ticked that I want to receive them. I withheld my mobile phone number last night and my home phone rang. I then ticked the withheld box above and saved, and retried. This time the home phone didn't ring and I got the 1572 message. Is the wording on the webpage correct?

Also, I understand withheld and international calls, but what is the definition of "unrecognised numbers"? It says numbers that cannot be identified - but in what context?

• Does it mean if caller uses an invalid number range as the caller display number it won't get through? 
  • Does it mean if caller is not recognised because they are not in a VIP list or some other list? It isn't very clear and I cannot see a definition through googling?

One last question, we get calls where it says the number is "UNAVAILABLE". Does BT Call Protect stopped these? I cannot see this call type listed on the web page? Is UNAVAILABLE treated as withheld?

Thank you

Paul

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Call Protect - Unrecognised - Definition

Do you have Caller ID activated ?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 3 of 15

Hi @BarkingMadBarking 

Based upon your test on Withheld I would say that the wording is wrong. You have a different interface to me (see below). I don't know which one is the latest version but one would think that what's below is what everyone should have, or at least that's what common sense is telling me.

BList.jpg

Message 4 of 15

Yes, CallerID is activated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Yes, it is a different interface. I'm on W10 + Firefox and accessing through bt.com. Nothing special. I clear browser history / cookies on browser exit. Perhaps there are different interfaces for different BT customers 🙂

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 6 of 15

I would think that the difference is down to BT's systems. It's not the first time though that I've seen BT use this odd reverse logic, where turning something on actually turns it off 😲

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Possibly. I think I can handle the reverse logic.

CLI Display shows WITHHELD, INTERNATIONAL, UNAVAILABLE. The first two map to Call Protect settings.

However, UNAVAILABLE doesn't - is it treated the same as WITHHELD?

What about the "unrecognised numbers / numbers that cannot be identified"? Can anyone give an example of when this setting would apply?

I think it would take BT 5 mins to look at the code to provide an answer. Although, it seems strange that an explanation for "unrecognised numbers" isn't availalbe in the BT blurb for this serivce.

Can the mods explain / provide a link to what is meant by "unrecognised numbers"?

Regards

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 15

Hi @BarkingMadBarking ,

Here are my settings :-

call protect.JPG

All seems straightforward to me, I'm not sure what your query is ?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Expert
Message 9 of 15

I have no idea myself @BarkingMadBarking although presumably there must be a difference.

However, I received a call last week from 00Uttam98, now if that isn't 'unrecognised' then I don't know what is. The irony is though that it still got through to my phone.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi pompey1898,

Your interface for configuring BT Protect looks nothing like my interface. Others have already commented on this. It it believed that different BT customers see a different interface. With my interface, it looks like the logic / wording is reversed based on my testing. Please see previous posts.

The other query was "what is the definition of a unrecognised number?"

Regards

0 Ratings