Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 11 of 15

Re: BT Call Protect - Unrecognised - Definition

@BarkingMadBarkingwrote:

Hi pompey1898,

Your interface for configuring BT Protect looks nothing like my interface. Others have already commented on this. It it believed that different BT customers see a different interface. With my interface, it looks like the logic / wording is reversed based on my testing. Please see previous posts.

The other query was "what is the definition of a unrecognised number?"

I don't want to appear facetious but my belief it means all numbers that "cannot be recognised", for whatever reason

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 12 of 15

Having read through this thread, there’s some confusion in the setup for Call Protect.

There are two blacklist categories and settings for them.

One is for BT’s own blacklist, and one for personal blacklist.

You will find a help section In the Call Protect Settings pages on how to access these.

This will explain why your withheld trial failed if you allocate to the BT blacklist......Apparently BT can block withheld numbers by past reputation. You the user can block withheld numbers in your personal blacklist, but BT can also block “bad” withheld numbers.

BarkingMadBarking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 15

Hi @Ribblelancs

I think I have lots of confusion with BT Call Protect.

With the settings above, if I withhold my mobile number, the phone rings and caller display says "WITHHELD".

default 1.jpg

If I change the settings to the screen below, saying " I wanto receive withheld numbers" - and make a withheld call from my mobile, it is sent to the junk vociemail and says "the person you have called has chosen not to receive anonymous calls....". It seems obvious that the web page is wrong.

default 2.JPG

I'm not sure how my mobile number would appear on a BT Blacklist. I'm just a regular mobile phone user.

My other query was "what is the definition of an unrecognised / unidentified number". 

It would be great if BT could provide a flow chart of how call protect works and explained what is a an unrecognised / unidentified number".

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 14 of 15

Yes, there’s a problem with the instructions given in the help pages.

I have the BT blacklist set as you have shown, and there’s no problem with receiving withheld calls....don’t really know why.

I do have the personal blacklist set up though.

A way around it is to set your known withheld callers, e.g. friends who are ex directory, as vip callers. This overrules all other settings, and you receive that caller. ( and you tell them to Unwithhold with 171).

Unrecognised numbers are as stated.....Not recognised as valid numbers.

I have an independent call blocker which works alongside successfully (can’t quote brand names on this forum), and this gives slightly more precise display of caller i.d., e.g. international, out of area. Even newer BT call blocking phones have more features.

0 Ratings
BarkingMadBarking
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 15

Thanks @Ribblelancs 

Yes ,I 'm aware of other call blocking devices and BT has used some of their technology in their Premium phones. It was good functionality with the "whisper" functionality. My dad has one and it's great - upto the point he specified his landline number to receive a bank confirmation code (others usually use mobile number and receive text message) - and of course, the text to voice service could not get past the "whisper".:-)

We had one but it didn't last a year. Never had an issue with rogue callers but in the last 2 weeks we've had around 10 - hence my interest in BT Call Protect.

0 Ratings