Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Call Protect - Unrecognised numbers Setting

Go to solution

I have a call blocker, which works fine for UK numbers.  We were getting 10/12 nuisance calls a day.  We still get 4/5 "unavailable" calls a day most of which my old BT Caller Display 2000, registers as "International", some times with a funny 00....... number. My Gigaset phone system displays these calls as "Unavailable".

I have registered with BT Call Protect to see if this will help.  In Settings there is the option to "Not Allow" "Unrecognised numbers"

My sister and her family live in Australia, so I do not want to block their calls.  If I turn off "Unrecognised numbers" will this block their phone calls?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Call Protect - Unrecognised numbers Setting

Go to solution

@jeffw wrote:

I have a call blocker, which works fine for UK numbers.  We were getting 10/12 nuisance calls a day.  We still get 4/5 "unavailable" calls a day most of which my old BT Caller Display 2000, registers as "International", some times with a funny 00....... number. My Gigaset phone system displays these calls as "Unavailable".

I have registered with BT Call Protect to see if this will help.  In Settings there is the option to "Not Allow" "Unrecognised numbers"

My sister and her family live in Australia, so I do not want to block their calls.  If I turn off "Unrecognised numbers" will this block their phone calls?

If your relatives use Skype, there's a setting which they can make to make their number recognised.

If you "not allow" unrecognised numbers, the Call Protect blocks uk and overseas callers.

From experience, unavailable is in the same class as unrecognised, for BT Call Protect.

But it lets Skype calls through, if it knows the number.

Also if you know their numbers, add it to VIP listing.

I agree about the international out of area calls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help.  I did know that "Unrecognised numbers" might be treated the same as "unavailable" that is why I wanted to check as Call Protect uses the former term.  My sister is 89 so not a skype user!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@jeffw wrote:

Many thanks for your help.  I did know that "Unrecognised numbers" might be treated the same as "unavailable" that is why I wanted to check as Call Protect uses the former term.  My sister is 89 so not a skype user!!

Put the International number into your vip listing.

I do this with calls from US.

It's unfortunate that Call Protect doesn't distinguish between International and UK unavailable/out of area calls, as some other devices do.

However the advantage of blocking with Call Protect is that the caller is given the option of leaving a message.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks again.  I see that I need to subscribe to BT Answer 1571 to have the VIP option.  Assuming it enables me to stop the "unavailable" nusiance calls, it is worth the money!

Your other point that it enables geniune callers to leave a message overcomes another potential problem.  I am the membership sec. of an old school association, with members all over the world.  They very very rarely phone me but if someone does I will know.  Virtually all contact is by email.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I am going to mark this topic closed.  I have had 2 days now without a single nuisance call - heaven!  The combination I now have of CPR Callblocker 108, BT Call Protection, plus BT Answer 1571 (to enable the use of the VIP feature) seems to be working.  I probably do not now need the CPR Calblocker.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@jeffw wrote:

I am going to mark this topic closed.  I have had 2 days now without a single nuisance call - heaven!  The combination I now have of CPR Callblocker 108, BT Call Protection, plus BT Answer 1571 (to enable the use of the VIP feature) seems to be working.  I probably do not now need the CPR Calblocker.

Would be interested to see if Call Protect stand alone is successful.

Perhaps you could report on progress later on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I put in a separate description of our issue but thought I could add to this email chain to get this problem reognised.

I have unrecognised call set to STOP in BT call protect.  However this morning I got a call from an unrecognised number.  I know this because I called the number and BT told me it was unrecognised.

This is one bogus call out of several every day of the week.  I was hoping that BT could investigate why this protection failed.  The situation is distressing - please help. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Frustrated26,

You are posting on a year old thread that has been marked "solved".

The comments have have made are well covered, try search.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
I have not used this type of forum before and was actually directed here by BT chat line. I have started a new thread already but so far no replies. I thought I would be getting a reply from BT. My question is why an unrecognised number got through their BT call protect STOP setting for unrecognised numbers.
Thankyou for your reply I will know for next time. It looks like I am in the wrong place. I genuinely do not know how to properly raise this issue with BT. When I use the 0800 security option I am only referred to TPS with no option to explain my query.
0 Ratings