Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

BT Call Protect lost its edge?

Go to solution

Hi

Initially I was very pleased with BT Call Protect and the nuisance calls dropped to zero very quickly. Lately however more numbers seem to be getting passed the software. In the last two days I have had nuisance calls from 01791 373938 and 01856 019962.  Have the scammers found ways round BT Call protect?

Alan 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Call Protect lost its edge?

Go to solution

Hi @Alan_in_Hemel,

Yes the scammers have, and will continue to, find ways around Call Protect.

However, I think it is much better with it rather than without.  It has saved me 594 nuisance calls.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@Alan_in_Hemel wrote:

Hi

Initially I was very pleased with BT Call Protect and the nuisance calls dropped to zero very quickly. Lately however more numbers seem to be getting passed the software. In the last two days I have had nuisance calls from 01791 373938 and 01856 019962.  Have the scammers found ways round BT Call protect?

Alan 

There’s still the old pattern of the nuisance calls coming in waves. You learn by instinct not to answer calls which display unfamiliar numbers. Now the callers have learned to change / disguise their calling numbers.

Had two today - a bad day - a double glazing company (old favourite), and a caller saying my internet was at fault. You learn to hang up instantly......and If you are not at home, then the real and junk messages still come through on 1572 / 1571.

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi

Yes I had noted that numbers are now looking like geographical UK ones but my BT phone display still declares them as International calls!  Another trick by the call centres overseas to fool us. I now do not answer the phone unless the caller is known to me. If it is someone who really wants me then they can leave a message and I will call back. 

I still think BT Call Protect is a good product but it will have to keep evolving to stay ahead of the scammers.

Alan

0 Ratings
jpg1
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I have the same problem - the system offers three categories of numbers that will be blocked, and I chose "unrecognised numbers" - the blizzard of such calls ceased for about a week but now they are back. I called 0800800150 and the explanation given is that I can determine that the number is a non-existent number by checking it myself and then blacklist it - so it's not really a feature at all - in fact it must surely be false advertising!

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The scammers are forever trying new ways round it.

BT's attempt, however frutiful it might be is here :-https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, I have logged the last few calls and will save this link for future use.

0 Ratings
jpg1
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@pompey1898wrote:

BT's attempt, however frutiful it might be is here :-https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

I see this is offered as a solution, but it doesn't seem to address the point that I added which in brief is:

- the feature offers the facility  to block a category of messages

- it worked brilliantly for about a week up till a few days ago, so it was apparently technically possible a week ago

- suddenly it no longer works.

Offering a method of doing it one's self is helpful as a workaround but not really either an explanation or a solution - and of course blocking a long list of individual numbers will soon run up against the limit.

Since whenever you try dialling one of these numbers you instantly get the alert tone and the message "the number you have dialled has not been recognised" it would seem to be no great challenge to make that check on inbound calls as well and block them, but that is speculation - whatever method was used up to a week ago must surely still be available?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@jpg1wrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

I see this is offered as a solution, but it doesn't seem to address the point that I added which in brief is:

- the feature offers the facility  to block a category of messages

- it worked brilliantly for about a week up till a few days ago, so it was apparently technically possible a week ago

- suddenly it no longer works.

Offering a method of doing it one's self is helpful as a workaround but not really either an explanation or a solution - and of course blocking a long list of individual numbers will soon run up against the limit.

Since whenever you try dialling one of these numbers you instantly get the alert tone and the message "the number you have dialled has not been recognised" it would seem to be no great challenge to make that check on inbound calls as well and block them, but that is speculation - whatever method was used up to a week ago must surely still be available?

BT Call Protect typically doesn't work. BT don't say this in their blurb, which I find dreadful. The scammers use VoIP systems to spoof the called from number. They clearly know these blocking systems are used, hence will regularly change their called from number.

All the spare number ranges are available from the OFCOM website, and invariably the scammers use ranges that are either unused or in the protected area - this is why when dialling it the call invariably fails. However not all of the numbers they have used (that I've seen) are in these ranges, so can be in real customer used ranges.

Nothing was used "a week ago".

The exchanges have finite processing power, so to guarantee the call is from a "proper" number would take far too much time and not possible at present.

BT don't control the number ranges - it's OFCOM.

This is almost the same issue as blocking email addresses from spammers, but as they too don't use their actual email address - blocking them individually by the end user is pretty much pointless.

0 Ratings