Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 301

BT Call Protect

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday BT launched a new service to help combat nuisance calls, this service is called BT Call protect and the service is completely FREE to all BT customers.  Here is some more information;

What does BT Call Protect do?

BT Call Protect proactively monitors nuisance calls and automatically prevents them getting through to your phone by sending them directly to a junk voicemail. BT will identify nuisance calls on the BT Blacklist which will automatically send them to your junk voicemail.  

You can also create your own personal blacklist to send all future calls from unwanted numbers to your junk voicemail.

What is the BT blacklist?

BT has a team of experts who analyse masses of data to identify nuisance calls and create the BT blacklist. Numbers on this blacklist will be sent directly to your junk voicemail. The team is continually updating the list with new nuisance numbers, so you can be sure it’s up to date.

The blacklist also includes Scam numbers detected by the BT Security team.

How do I add numbers to my personal blacklist?

BT Call Protect makes it very simple to divert nuisance calls. If you receive an nuisance call, hang up the phone, dial 1572 and follow the simple instructions to add it to your Personal blacklist.

You can manage your settings and personal blacklist at bt.com/btcallprotect where you log in using your BT ID, alternatively you can dial 1572 free from your home phone.

I have a problem with withheld numbers, can BT Call Protect help?

Yes, another feature of BT Call Protect is the ability to divert individual call categories.  Withheld, International and Unrecognised numbers can all be sent directly to your junk voicemail. You can manage these online or by calling 1572.

How much does BT Call Protect cost?

BT Call Protect is completely free to all BT home phone customers. You won’t get charged to call 1572, where you can manage your settings and add numbers to your personal blacklist.

How do I get BT Call Protect?

If you are a new or existing customer you can find out more and order the service atbt.com/callprotect

What happens if I’ve already got BT 1571 and Call Minder?

BT Call Protect will automatically be provided to customers with either of these products between Dec– March. If you haven’t already received the product and you want it sooner, just go to bt.com/callprotect to order.

By having BT Call Protect with BT Answer 1571 or Call Minder you’ll also benefit from two additional features.

VIP lets you create a safe list of callers you don’t want to send to your junk mail, while Do Not Disturb lets you specify certain times of the day when you don’t want to be disturbed, for instance if you are watching your favourite TV programme or if you just want a little bit of peace.

How do I find out more about BT Call Protect?

For more information log onto  www.bt.com/callprotect

What does everyone think of BT Call protect?  Has anyone tried it yet?

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
300 REPLIES 300
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

I have had the service since Christmas and have found it very good no unwanted calls at all
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 301

Hi SeanD

Excellent idea and quite easy to set up.  It has somewhat negated some of the purpose of the BT8600 Call Blocker I purchased last week.

I set it up yesterday and have had two unwanted callers today that I have added to my personal black list.

What message do callers that have been added to your personal blacklist get when they are sent to junk voicemail please?

0 Ratings
Phil_Wales
Contributor
Message 4 of 301

I had high hopes for this, but it simply doesn't work.

The spammers are just spoofing random 10-digit Caller ID numbers as fast as they're blocked.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 301

The problem is that the scammers will soon cotton on and just use a different pseudo geographic number with every call which means you will be no better off than now.

Edit @Phil_Wales posted as I was typing.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 301

What happens with withheld calls, are they still added to the blocked list if requested, as BT can "see" the number even if the caller withholds it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 301

@Phil_Wales wrote:

I had high hopes for this, but it simply doesn't work.

The spammers are just spoofing random 10-digit Caller ID numbers as fast as they're blocked.

This is where the BT8600 wins, because if you enable BT Call Guardian, only people in your phone list can get through, unless they announce themselves.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 301

You have an option to block withheld calls within the menu structure
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 301

@john46 wrote:
You have an option to block withheld calls within the menu structure

But does that stop all withheld calls, or just the ones that you choose. Hospitals and doctors withhold their numbers.

On BTs Choose To Refuse service, you can block the last number even if its withheld, as its done at network level.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 301

Keith all withhelds are blocked
0 Ratings