Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 81 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@pompey1898 wrote:

@JB2016,

Since activating Call Protect the only unwanted calls I have recieved are 3 also from someone offering free boiler replacement.

I have bloked them and have not received any since last Friday.

@SeanD,

Is it OK to post the 3 numbers please ?

@Ribblelancs

Don't want to interfere. No problem. But would be very interested to see replies to your question.

A brief reference to the area code may help. You may be encouraging the caller to change his/her number yet again....as is happening with ppi callers. Not sure what you mean by that ?

There are also independent websites to check for caller patterns what are they, and the ofcom website I will take a look.

I wonder sometimes if a simple block to automated callers helps, with a facility, where they obtain an unavailable tone.

There's no message given to them, which would show that your own number exists.

It's all trial and error, at the moment.

I still receive ppi calls and home improvement calls, although very much reduced now.

Helps to keep a mental note of numbers, or a notepad log. You learn to recognise automated callers.

Let it ring, and don't answer!

This is our local approach.

If you want to check on a frequent nuisance caller number, do a google search on "Who calls".

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 82 of 301

@SeanD

Had fourth call today about booiler replacement.  Exactly the same recorded message but a different number again.

Is it OK to post theses numbers numbers please ?

cc: @Ribblelancs

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 83 of 301

It will be pointless, they will use a different number with every call.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 84 of 301

@licquorice wrote:

Agreed.

In the long term, it's better to make a note of the number, and ignore the call the next time(s).

If you block, you may soon run out of available count of blocks.

Is it 100 for BT Call Protect?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 85 of 301

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Agreed.

In the long term, it's better to make a note of the number, and ignore the call the next time(s).

@licquorice

Point taken. Just wondered if the mods might want to feed them back to BT so they could be added to BT's balck list "at source". Although with 8 digits there are rather a lot of permutations, I'm not about to owrk out how many.

@Ribblelancs

I don't have caller display so won't know how to not answer.

Not quite what you mean "Is it 100 for BT Call Protect?"  To access call protect, if that is wht you meant, is 1572.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 86 of 301

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Agreed.

@licquorice

Point taken. Just wondered if the mods might want to feed them back to BT so they could be added to BT's balck list "at source". Although with 8 digits there are rather a lot of permutations, I'm not about to owrk out how many.

@Ribblelancs

I don't have caller display so won't know how to not answer.

Not quite what you mean "Is it 100 for BT Call Protect?"  To access call protect, if that is wht you meant, is 1572.

No, I don't mean 1572.

You are better with caller display, if possible. Makes a big difference. Presumably you use 1471, to discover last caller number., or 1572 to access the junk section.

Also helps to purchase a phone model with a calls log, (BT caller display required).

It's up to 100 individual caller numbers which can be blocked on BT Call Protect. (?).

You could soon run out of entries.

I agree with your concern as to how quickly BT Call Protect will add rogue callers to it's listing.

(There's a risk of being over reactive, though). These things take time......

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 87 of 301

You are better with caller display, if possible. Makes a big difference. Presumably you use 1471, to discover last caller number., or 1572 to access the junk section.

Also helps to purchase a phone model with a calls log, (BT caller display required).

It's up to 100 individual caller numbers which can be blocked on BT Call Protect. (?).

I agree with your concern as to how quickly BT Call Protect will add rogue callers to it's listing.

@Ribblelancs,

I needed a new multi instrument phone so bought the BT 8600 quad.  However, I am waiting for another month to take out annual rental to get caller display via BT Privacy for free so that it ends at the same time as my my phone/BB contract. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 88 of 301

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Ribblelancs,

I needed a new multi instrument phone so bought the BT 8600 quad.  However, I am waiting for another month to take out annual rental to get caller display via BT Privacy for free so that it ends at the same time as my my phone/BB contract. 

Good luck with the BT 8600.

Seems to be one of the ways to go forward with nuisance callers, in addition to Call Protect.

0 Ratings
malc901
Message 89 of 301

Thought I'd give this a try as it was free, but it does not work for me and we are still getting 4 or 5 spam calls each day. The problem is the spammers use a spoof telephone number that appears on the caller display but changes each time they call. I've tried calling some of the numbers back and it says number unobtainable. Each spoof number has a valid dialling code followed by 5 numbers so when I see these i don't answer them. Surely BT could filter out these unobainable numbers. If ever BT start to charge for this service I'll cancel it as it's not worth it. It might work for withheld numbers or for valid phone numbers but spammers rarely use these as they can be traced.

Come on BT this is a good step forward but needs a bit more work to make it truely effective.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
mariner30
Beginner
Message 90 of 301

I have noticed that we are getting more of these randomly generated 10 digit calls SINCE we opted for BT Call Protect or is that just a coincidence?! They cannot be blocked because they are not a complete number (one digit missing) I could, of course, block the number plus all the other 10 numbers (0 to 9) as the 11th digit but then they generate another number!

This problem needs telecoms legislation. Someone knows who these spammers are!

0 Ratings