cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WoodbridgePete
Contributor
Message 251 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

I've had the same issue with 1572 not recognising the number as valid, but was valid when I logged on to Call Protect, so blocked.  I'm not sure if some of these companies are formatting the CLI slightly odd to get past call blockers

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 252 of 301

Also, another question ...

I called up 1572 on my phone now I have Call Protect running. I pressed "3" to listen to the junkn voicemail - had the usual "brrrrrrrrrrrrr - click" silent call. So pressed "1" to add it to my blacklist. But, the last number registered was my daughter's mobile - which I didn't want blocked!

So, I logged in and checked my blacklist - nothing there. And after a few days, still that action to blacklist that number has not appeared - just as well as I would have to un-blaclkist it!

So, phew! But, why did this action not get done? - it told me it was doing it and what the number was, which is why I knew it was wrong.

Otherwise, so far so good.

Rob

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 253 of 301

I guess it did not get logged as you got "brrrrrrrrrrrrr - click".

If one blocks a number it gets read back to you.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 254 of 301

It said it was adding my daughters mobile to the blacklist ... but didn't

Rob

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bdzpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 255 of 301

Yesterday Tuesday 16 Jan, HMRC callback messages successfully reached my BT landline phone for logons for 2 separate taxpayers.  On both occasions the caller was shown as 0300 200 3600 both on my phone and on the BT Call Protext "Received Calls" listing.  So maybe, just maybe, after 12 months of confusion BT and HMRC have finally stopped blaming each other and have collaborated to fix this.  Fingers crossed.

In case it's relevant, my BT Call Protect settings are

- Personal Blacklist  ON (but empty anyway)

- BT Blacklist  ON 

- Withheld numbers  Stop

- Unrecognised numbers  Stop

- International  Allow

0 Ratings
dinah50
Aspiring Contributor
Message 256 of 301

It is very annoying not being able to find out the numbers of callers that have gone to junk.  I particularly want to see if one of the callers I have blocked has been trying to phone but cannot do this.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 257 of 301

@bdzpete wrote:

Yesterday Tuesday 16 Jan, HMRC callback messages successfully reached my BT landline phone for logons for 2 separate taxpayers.  On both occasions the caller was shown as 0300 200 3600 both on my phone and on the BT Call Protext "Received Calls" listing.  So maybe, just maybe, after 12 months of confusion BT and HMRC have finally stopped blaming each other and have collaborated to fix this.  Fingers crossed.

In case it's relevant, my BT Call Protect settings are

- Personal Blacklist  ON (but empty anyway)

- BT Blacklist  ON 

- Withheld numbers  Stop

- Unrecognised numbers  Stop

- International  Allow

That is a legitimate number, so there would be no reason to block it, so I guess it is HMRC that have made the change.

Well done to them.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 258 of 301

It has been mentioned many times but none of the call blocking options will work for me as 90% + of nuisance calls are withheld but unfortunately so are calls from the doctor and various hospitals that call me, I have been a bit unwell and often get calls to rearrange Chemo sessions etc, which also show as withheld.

It could be solved if it was possible for organisations like this to display a standard number so it could get through if withheld numbers were blocked.

The other thing that would be useful is a way of giving BT scam numbers so they could add them to their black list without having to sign up to their call blocking which would help everyone.

I have recently been receiving recorded messages from 01618508662 (I have reported this to ICO) Which is a scam pretending that the HMRC is taking legal action against me, this asks me to press 1 to talk to them. I have not done this as I assume it will reroute to an expensive international number or/and someone trying to get my bank account details.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 259 of 301

Hi @Bob1001,

In your circumstance you have my sympathy.  Do you have access to a mobile that you could ask them to ring you on ?

However, I cannot understand why your doctor & hospital should withhold their numbers, mine don't.

Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 260 of 301

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @Bob1001,

In your circumstance you have my sympathy.  Do you have access to a mobile that you could ask them to ring you on ?

However, I cannot understand why your doctor & hospital should withhold their numbers, mine don't.

Thank you, I will try and get them to change to my mobile number, which may not be easy as the pacemaker clinic still text on my wife's mobile even though I keep asking them to change it.

The reason the hospital uses withheld is because they have incoming and outgoing lines and would not receive the call if it was made to the number it was made from, with call display you know which number called so you try and ring back which would not work if it was from an outgoing line.

Just to make it more difficult they will not leave a message due to "data protection".

0 Ratings