cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
580 Views
Message 291 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@RobFletcherwrote:

Hi all,

 

Just had a call from +1 8605 320 914  which lookups say comes from Hartford in the USA. Of course it doesn't. Get a lot of these and they are not blocked. Some scammers, many silent.

 

So, can someone please tell me why on earth numbers with the +1 prefix are not blocked as "International" ??


The reason for this issue is because the number isn't international, it's almost certainly via a VoIP system, spoofing the number. For the Call Protect system to work in that way, the call needs to have an International call flag - effectively meaning the call actually passes through the international exchanges. VoIP calls from scammers won't do that.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
581 Views
Message 292 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

Thanks for the info - I had already come to the conclusion it was VoIP stuff ...

So, then, perhaps BT Call Protect needs to have another option to let us block VoIP's if we so wish. My blacklist is getting near 100, and many are VoIP's - which do get re-used, so they need to be blocked.

Thanks,

Rob.

 

0 Ratings
WoodbridgePete
Contributor
576 Views
Message 293 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@Andy_Nwrote:

@RobFletcherwrote:

Hi all,

 

Just had a call from +1 8605 320 914  which lookups say comes from Hartford in the USA. Of course it doesn't. Get a lot of these and they are not blocked. Some scammers, many silent.

 

So, can someone please tell me why on earth numbers with the +1 prefix are not blocked as "International" ??


The reason for this issue is because the number isn't international, it's almost certainly via a VoIP system, spoofing the number. For the Call Protect system to work in that way, the call needs to have an International call flag - effectively meaning the call actually passes through the international exchanges. VoIP calls from scammers won't do that.


BT should maybe look at the presented caller ID and decide on that, even if it doesn't have the international tag

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
572 Views
Message 294 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@WoodbridgePetewrote:


BT should maybe look at the presented caller ID and decide on that, even if it doesn't have the international tag


It's not as smple as that. Many companies set a business number as caller ID when their employees call from internal DDI extension. Scammers spoof numbers, so they will simply use something else.

However I do agree, and if processing power is enough, then these sorts of numbers could be dealt with on a single user basis.

0 Ratings
g7mzh-2
Contributor
552 Views
Message 295 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

Why can't the system check if the presented nunber is valid, and reject the call if it isn't? This would reject calls from correct-looking (but non-existant) numbers.

As an enhancement, perhaps compare the originating and presentation numbers and reject the call if the two do not agree.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
539 Views
Message 296 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@g7mzh-2wrote:

Why can't the system check if the presented nunber is valid, and reject the call if it isn't? This would reject calls from correct-looking (but non-existant) numbers.

As an enhancement, perhaps compare the originating and presentation numbers and reject the call if the two do not agree.


Whilst that seems logical, telephone exchanges have a finite amount of processing power, and to check every single call to a person comes from a valid number is going to be extremely power hungry, not to mention the time needed to do it and the inherent network infrastructure to enable that to happen.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
524 Views
Message 297 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

Hi All,

Call Protect has not been in force for that long in the wider scheme of things but I'm sure it will improve still further over time.

However, it is an awful lot better than keep getting those loads of unwanted calls every day, and nearly always at the most annoying time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
woodward2
Aspiring Contributor
479 Views
Message 298 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

Hi,

I've just posted a question regarding the same issue. My blocklist is now full. Most are from Asian call centres with what I presume are spoofed numbers. Many have the same prefix, e.g. 028 3003 xxxx and 028 3004 xxxx. It would be useful to be able to block generic patterns, or even better to block invalid numbers.

I've contacted BT about the issue and was directed to the BT Security service, but the only option on the automated system for nuisance calls directs you to the TPS.  Guess what? I'm already registered with the TPS. Fat lot of good that does.

It's very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
464 Views
Message 299 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@woodward2wrote:

Hi,

I've just posted a question regarding the same issue. My blocklist is now full. Most are from Asian call centres with what I presume are spoofed numbers. Many have the same prefix, e.g. 028 3003 xxxx and 028 3004 xxxx. It would be useful to be able to block generic patterns, or even better to block invalid numbers.



Hi.

This is one of the problems of this supposed "excellent" system. Scammers know that users block specific numbers, so as you say elsewhere - they keep changing their numbers. This is the same as adding spoofed email addresses to the online blocklist which is limited to 500 (I think). Again that is counterproductive as spammers don't use their own email addresses.

Blocking a generic pattern might be an answer, however what could happen is that people get this wrong and block numbers they want - and scammers will start spoofing numbers within "normal" ranges. Invalid numbers are extremely hard to determine due to the amount of processing power and possible network infrastructure needed. The numbers you quoted belong to Teledesign & Timico.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
428 Views
Message 300 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect


@pompey1898wrote:

Hi All,

Call Protect has not been in force for that long in the wider scheme of things but I'm sure it will improve still further over time.

However, it is an awful lot better than keep getting those loads of unwanted calls every day, and nearly always at the most annoying time.


yep, my land line literally only rings when my Mum or Dad call now! They are a bit nostalgic about such things I think 🙂

0 Ratings