Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 21 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi SeanD

Excellent idea and quite easy to set up.  It has somewhat negated some of the purpose of the BT8600 Call Blocker I purchased last week.

I set it up yesterday and have had two unwanted callers today that I have added to my personal black list.

What message do callers that have been added to your personal blacklist get when they are sent to junk voicemail please?

Does anyone else have an answer to the avove question please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 301

no I don't know as you cannot hear it
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 23 of 301

@john46 wrote:
no I don't know as you cannot hear it

Anyone else?  Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 301

Add your mobile number temporarily and call it, or add the number of the local call box
0 Ratings
python
Contributor
Message 25 of 301

@john46 wrote:
sign up to BT privacy and caller display is free you dont need to sign up to call minder

You also do not need a call blocking phone just one that can use caller display

I am already signed up for those.

It used to be free, but you have to pay now, think it is about £1.45 a month.

I used to get it free, but not now, that is about a couple of years ago and I am on BT Infinity 2 unlimited 24/7 phone calls.

--------------------
Jim
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 301

it is still free providing you renew your phone line contract yearly as this link explains http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8098/~/all-about-bt-privacy

0 Ratings
Phil_Wales
Contributor
Message 27 of 301

so, having used it for a day or so...

all it is is a way of personally blocking individual numbers. It's no better than the simple number blocker that our Panasonic phones already have. It doesn't seem to be linked to a central database, so even if a load of people block one number it doesn't result in it being blocked at network level. It doesn't have any insight into the source of calls (unsurprisingly) so, since the spoofed geographical numbers are just randomly generated for each call, it's entirely useless.

Don't bother unless you're getting repeated  junk calls from the same number and you have no ability to block that using your handset.

edited for spelling

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 301

I would imagine that it is evolving, and will improve as more entries are added to the database.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Phil_Wales
Contributor
Message 29 of 301

Since the numbers change with every call, randomly, that's not going to happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 301

BT can identify the source of the spoofed CLI via the signalling links, so its quite possible that this process is going on. The chances are that they are only origination from a number of sources. I would guess that this is a work in progress.

Its also very unlikely that they would be originated from within the BT phone network, as there are processes in place to prevent that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings