Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnoo
Expert
Message 11 of 31

Re: BT Call Protect

Go to solution

@Phil_Wales wrote:
there's a a switch in the online control panel you can set to block *all "withheld" numbers.

I'll take a look at that

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution
a
@Johnoo wrote:

@Phil_Wales wrote:
there's a a switch in the online control panel you can set to block *all "withheld" numbers.

I'll take a look at that

It's not clear what this switch may do.

Does it block the caller, or ask them to allow their number to be displayed?

This seems to be a grey area.

i.e. Which calls go to the junk section, which are blocked, and what does the caller hear?

There's some risk involved in blocking all withheld numbers.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:
a
@Johnoo wrote:

@Phil_Wales wrote:

I'll take a look at that

i.e. Which calls go to the junk section, which are blocked, and what does the caller hear?

I've had a look & set mine to allow "Withheld Numbers"

My understanding is that these calls will be allowed to come throug & if I choose I can add them to my Black list by dialing 1572

Correct?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

@Johnoo wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:
a
@Johnoo wrote:

@Phil_Wales wrote:

I'll take a look at that

My understanding is that these calls will be allowed to come throug & if I choose I can add them to my Black list by dialing 1572

Correct?

Sorry if I cast doubts, as I have no experience with Call Protect. Still using an external call blocking device which is now almost "trained" to my preferences, and hope, eventually to move on to Call Protect.

There was a recent post which suggested that Call Protect will go through a learning curve, where repeated nuisance callers are added to it's database.

So if all were to be going to plan, BT will also add rogue witheld callers to it's listing.

In an ideal situation, BT can identify witheld caller numbers, without revealing them to you. So you might just be able to block individuals.

0 Ratings
Phil_Wales
Contributor
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution

@Johnoo wrote:

Correct?

Correct

The switch does what it says - it smply blocks all calls where the number is known to the netwrok but hidden to the person receiving the call.

You can manually add any such call to the blacklist, as you say.

0 Ratings
Gasmansteve
Beginner
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

Hi guys

Just had a letter today offering me Bt Call protect from the end of March. I phoned the `Helpline` (??) to ask a question about this service but was not able to get any help from the guy. My bank has a call centre abroad and contacts me occasionally by phone with just the caller display `International` on my house phone. I also get nuisance calls from abroad again with just `International` on my caller display. Is Call protect able to distinguish between an International call I don`t want to receive from an International call I do want to receive please?.

cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
reneh46
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

Sorry this is not really a reply but another Call Protect weakness that perhaps the BT team could fix.

I receive fairly frequent calls, sometimes more than one a day, offering me a free boiler replacement if I am on benefits. It is a recorded message that suggests I press 2 for information or 9 to cancel. I have been advised not to press any key; IS THAT GOOD ADVICE?

The second thing and maybe Call Protect could be modified to deal with this, is that each call appears to come from a different number. The number, however, only has 10 (and is not real) digits and I believe that all UK numbers have 11. (Am I correct on that?). That being the case could Call Protect be set up globally to block all numbers that have too few digits? 

I can't find anywhere other than the forums to put forward this suggestions but hope the moderator could pass it to the right place. Of couse if I wrong and there are still 10 digit numbers in use please ignore the suggestion!

0 Ratings
Georgypan
Beginner
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

I've just activated Call Protect.  Is online the only way to add numbers to my personal blacklist?  I would prefer to have the option of blacklisting a number as soon as I receive the call using my landline handset.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

@Georgypan wrote:

I've just activated Call Protect.  Is online the only way to add numbers to my personal blacklist?  I would prefer to have the option of blacklisting a number as soon as I receive the call using my landline handset.

When you get a call you want to block you phone the protect number, 1572 & get instructions on how to block the last call you received.

OK?

0 Ratings
hangerbird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

I am getting more now I have BT Protect. Blocking just seems to ensure they use another digit in the phone number. Good on international but spam is more and more each day

0 Ratings