Did you mean: 
hangerbird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: BT Call Protect

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
it costs you nothing to try it works well for me spam calls now zero

I am getting more now I have BT Protect. Blocking just seems to ensure they use another digit in the phone number. Good on international but spam is more and more each day

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Go to solution

Until these calls are stopped at source, it is just re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

0 Ratings
hangerbird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 31

Go to solution

so a free non scam solver from BT but then you py through the nose for most things

0 Ratings
Goldingsboy
Message 24 of 31

Go to solution

I thought BT Call Protect was the answer to a very worrying increase in spam calls to my phone. This afternoon I had three of these calls, concerning boilers to individuals on benefits and a "withheld" call at 2 am during the night. I cannot understand why BT is unable to trace the perpetraters, and put an end to this misery for so many, often elderly, people. I can only assume that there is a financial aspect to it all, that is nstaying their hand.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 25 of 31

Go to solution

@Goldingsboy wrote:

I thought BT Call Protect was the answer to a very worrying increase in spam calls to my phone. This afternoon I had three of these calls, concerning boilers to individuals on benefits and these are spoofed 10 digit calls whaich will still get through, for the being anyway a "withheld" do you have witheld number blocked ?call at 2 am during the night. I cannot understand why BT is unable to trace the perpetraters, and put an end to this misery for so many, often elderly, people. I can only assume that there is a financial aspect to it all, that is nstaying their hand.

0 Ratings
dick48
Message 26 of 31

Go to solution

I am trying BT call protect. Initially with the BT blacklist and international calls blocked.

HMRC are introducing an additional layer of security which means that when you login to use their online services they send an automatic telephone message with an entry code which you then type in as part of logging in to HMRC. I found my phone did not ring but on later investigation the entry code had been sent to voicemail as a withheld number. I had not opted to block withheld numbers.

HMRC advised me to request BT to accept calls with the HMRC authentication number as an approved contact. I am not clear how to do this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 31

Go to solution
this link shows that a forum mod has passed your problem to the call protect team https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Call-protect-blocking-calls-from-HMRC-and-Government-Gateway/t...
0 Ratings
WildWood1
Beginner
Message 28 of 31

Go to solution

The basic free call protect service does work, but at the cost of blockin ALL calls from witheld numbers including important ones from anti-fraud depts. of banks and credit card companies and doctors/hospitals, etc. Plus those from people whose lines are set to withold their numbers without their knowledge. You can't check as the 1571 service isn't free. And the paid for version is no better as you need to add numbers you want to allow to a VIP list and you can't do this in advance IF YOU DON'T KNOW THEIR NUMBERS IN ADVANCE! 

So you either have to suffer spam calls or pay by using your mobile! NOT happy. Any solutions?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 31

Go to solution

@WildWood1

You can alter the settings to allow withheld calls.

0 Ratings
rfc195
Beginner
Message 30 of 31

Go to solution

Hi,

I have been using call protect for a couple of days now. I have been receiving calls from a scam caller claiming to be from BT with regards to a virus/someone taking over my IP address etc. I have blocked the spoofed numbers that I get called from, but the scammer keeps on changing it slightly so that the dialling code changes but for the last 4 digits remain the same.

Is there any way I can use wildcards when entering a number to block using BT call protect?

0 Ratings