cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carl1975
Message 1 of 7

BT DO NOT SUPPLY CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES CORRECTLY!

Hi there, 

I am having A major issue with bt............... A £100 (+ mobile phone calls to them of 4 hours) issue to be precise....

On June 7th an 'engineer' came out to 'fix' our landline... we cannot make or receive calls off it...

the engineer informed my partner that the and I quote "the Bt hub is causing interference with the landline, you need I new hub, I will get it ordered, it'll arrive the next two weeks"

two weeks, no hub...........placed A call to BT and asked the women where it was... "made A note on system, expect it in two weeks"

Four weeks later, no hub and A £100 engineer charge is taken out of the bank???????????????????

17th august, my partner placed A call to bt stating the above...........two and half hours later....... to be told that as no fault on the landline was found it is our problem and the charge stands, my partner requested this go to complaints and was told to expect A call back before twelve on the monday on her mobile as I would be at work and not available to use my phone.

19th August (the monday) no call back received so my partner phones again at 4pm.... to be told that someone had tried to call at 1.45.......... forgive me for being so bold, but we cannot receive or make landline calls, so why call the landline number????? followed by my number which they were told was unavailable. We again phoned them (40 mins) to be 'fobbed off' with excuses and Another call back on tuesday before 2 we are told.

20th August (the tuesday).... it reaches 3.30 pm and no call back..... another call placed(30 mins) to which the advisor tell's us they see the problem... A new hub is on its way and my manager will ring you tomorrow to arrange the refund...... great... getting somewhere!!!!!

21st august (the wednesday)...... oh no....... no call back and it 5.15 pm.... so my partner places A call....... the manager isnt availbale and it takes 40 mins for someone to tell us that fact, and no other managers are availble??????? said manager will call us tomorrow at 11.30 am without fail, and thats A promise my partner is told. 

22nd august (the thursday).........

am I surprised??? no call back!!!!! my partner places the call to them at 14.50pm... to be told A tier 2 advisor will return her call 40 minutes after she had manged to get through to someone.

when the tier 2 advisor returned the call (finally!!!) my partner was informed, bt are at no fault, the charge stands and we will not be refunded..... my partner questions two things.....

1, if your not at fault why are we getting A replacement hub?????

reply " to fix the fault its causing".....

2. if the services we are paying for are not being provided then you have void your contract, so we don't have to pay the cancellation fee???

reply " no you have to pay it"

my partner ended up having A panic attack after this call.

ok forgive me if I am wrong.....

firstly.......

why fix something (the hub) if it isn't broke (the landline)... therefore showing that bt are declaring the fault  as their own and so should refund the engineer £100 charge!!!!

And second...... 

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

Fit for purpose means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller.

NEITHER OF THESE HAVE BEEN UP HELD, and to put the cherry on top, the customer service we have received has been appaling.

we are not happy and want it rectified, clearely BT are not going to resolve this, so it will be A case for the ombudsman service;communications department.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT DO NOT SUPPLY CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES CORRECTLY!

Whilst I completely agree that BT Customer Service and their communications are dreadful, you should have been instructed to unscrew the faceplate of your Master Socket and plug in a telephone to check that the fault was on the line and not in your premises before a visit was arranged.  If you had done that then you would have found that the fault was on your premises and not in the section of the line owned by BT.  

You could try to persuade BT Broadband, your ISP, to pay the £99 charged by BT Retail, your telephone service provider, because it was their equipment that was faulty but I think BT Retail are within their rights to impose a charge.  Sorry.  

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

I'll supply a bit more context.

Although these days it is well-nigh impossible to sign a broadband contract without entering into a telephone contract with the same provider, BT Openreach, who do the line repairs, cling stubbornly to the fiction that your ISP and your TSP are separate entities.  Therefore if you have a fault on your line you have to decide if it is a telephone fault or a broadband fault, even if it is both.  Openreach will then send out an engineer to fix the phone fault (who is not allowed to consider the broadband service) or an engineer (possibly the same one) to fix the broadband fault (who is not allowed to consider the phone service).

Therefore if the engineer who visited had been there because your broadband was not working you might have got away without being charged but because he/she came to fix the phone you have to pay £99.  

0 Ratings
carl1975
Message 4 of 7

the line rental is the property of BT plc and the hub is the property of BT plc, therefore BT are contractually at fault regardless..... 

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

I'm not sure the Hub is necessarily the property of BT.  I think it is yours so long as you complete the 12 or 18 month contract under which it was supplied.  Maybe that's in the fine detail of the terms and conditions?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

I am afraid that you ate dealing with openreach ( who supply the line) and BT retail who supply the hub and broadband. The engineer who attended was wrong to say he will supply a new hub, he is not allowed to do this,.if he did he would have to offer the same service for sky, plusnet,.talk-talk, orange, bulldog as well ad all the other ISPs. He would not have access to supply you one of their routers.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

The issue that you may well have to cover if you want to get your money back is why you did not perform the test where you plug a phone into the test socket?  My line has had three faults in around 6 years and although it has always been outside my house, I have always been instructed to try the test socket and threatened with a possible charge.  Even if you do not have a test socket, any test where you unplug everything except for one corded phone would have worked.  

0 Ratings