cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 29

BT Launches new phone to stop unwanted calls

Hi All

Seen today in a National Paper HERE// that BT have launched a new phone that will block unwanted callers.

A quote from the paper says:

A new landline phone that is able to blocks up to 80 per cent of unwanted calls, including from infamous PPI reclaiming firms, was launched by BT today.

The BT 6500 phone - which is available to everyone, not just its customers - can block calls from international, withheld and up to 10 specific numbers.

The telecoms giant said the launch is in response to it receiving more than 50,000 complaints to their nuisance calls advice line every month.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT Launches new phone to stop unwanted calls

Dave,

It mentions

"can block calls from international, withheld and up to 10 specific numbers. "

But nothing about those numbers that say "Unavailable"

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 29

I think poss if the incoming call does not have CLI attached to it the call gets blocked so I guess the base station interrogates the incoming call and depending on what the user has set the base station will not ring. Only set back on this is when you have more phones plugged in other than the 6500.

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

It would have to look for the "unavailable" message as that is sent by CLI as far as I am aware.

For anyone without caller display, the phone would have to have a bypass facility.

Its a pity there isn`t an online manual yet for people to read, still its some progress.

Now we just need one to divert unwanted door-to-door salespeople, to the wheely bin Smiley Wink

Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 29

Just found the BT Press Release on it HERE//

and the user guide HERE//

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 29

Not to be confused with BT Synergy 6500. Smiley Wink

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
monarchjock
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 29

I've always thought, there has to be a market for an answering machine with individual answers, using the CLI, which takes this idea a little further. It has been available in software for many years but maybe this could be the start.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 8 of 29

For me the downside is that it includes an answering machine.

So many people do not want to leave a message an unwittingly pay for calls which go to answering machines on the basis that 'they have been connected'   £0.25 or so into the hands of BT each time so probably why they include answering machines on many of their branded telephones.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 29

Just an update to this thread for all my readers, this phone IS NOT the same phone as a phone with a similar name the Synergy 6500, so please check your purchase before buying.

Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 29

Most cordless systems that have a built in answering phone normally have the facility to leave the answering part switched off.

0 Ratings