Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mrbell1984
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT - Line Saver - 2 Charged Calls /month

Has the world gone mad?  BT creaming every single penny out of people.  I joined the line saver £129.00 a month to find out that if I did not make 2 calls within the month 6 times per quater I would be billed a service charge.

I do not have a land line to make calls, I have a land line (and pay a service bill) every month to get broadband why should I be penalised if I do not want to use the phone!

Absolute disgrace BT!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT - Line Saver - 2 Charged Calls /month

you just need make 2 free call in a month to comply with the rules no service provider provides a service with out a line rental not really a hardship also it is also worth having a phone connected as it can be used as a free phone should you ever have a broadband fault to report
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

It might be a bugbear, but it's hardly a disgrace as BT do make it quite clear: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29984.

I gather that it's to deter people using the cheap line rental to obtain services from a competitor - not very different from PAYG mobile deals that require use within a specified period to deter a no-cost spare phone. Since BT line rental includes free weekend calls, it doesn't even have to carry a charge.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
c-tips
Message 4 of 7

All very well and good but I have a calls/broadband package from another provider and so cannot make these two free calls; I am effectively charged an additional £18 for NOT making 24 free calls with BT over the year. How can this be justified? If I pay a fixed, up-front price for a service, i.e. a data line to my house, why should I then be charged further for not using it in the manner BT wish?

It wouldn't be so bad (although still ridiculous) if it was clearly stated but all the advertising on the BT site leads you to think you are paying for the line-rental up front and that's it, this charge is hidden away on a seperate page in the legal T&Cs. BT must know that a lot of people just want a line for data; this charge is designed purely to screw money out of them. It should clearly state in the offer "£18 charge applies if not used in conjunction with BT voice services".

Extremely p***** off with BT, again. This sort of rubbish is why I left them a few years ago. Plus ça change.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

That's the terms of the contract, that's how they can do it.

If you choose not to adhere to this then you'll be charged.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@c-tips  You'll probably dismiss me as a BT apologist, but I can assure you that I'm very ready to criticise them when justified. But I have to say you've got this wrong.

The charge is not hidden away in the T&C as the link in my previous post shows. It also has to be shown in any advertisement for the service, though BT are just as guilty as their competitors when it comes to small print. It's justified because that's part of the deal for the Line Rental Saver. The reason for it is to deter exactly what you want to do, and I don't think BT make any secret of that.

LRS is not compulsory. If you don't like the minimum calls requirement, you can pay monthly and it will only cost £175.20 a year instead of the £147 you're paying now. Or you could pay your ISP if they can offer a better price.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
c-tips
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your reply, pottyperson.

Your link is the same one BT customer services have sent me, however the offer is described differently elsewhere on the site; if you click through from the homepage to buy line rental this charge is not mentioned at all unless you click a link to "view the legal stuff" even though the blurb states "If you just need line rental..." Further down the process, after entering your number and postcode you're invited to choose a package, again no mention is made of this charge, just a lot of green ticks with "FREE" and "£0" next to them. There's not even a mention of it in a section titled "IMPORTANT INFORMATION" which details all the (other) call charges associated with the account. As before, you must click through to a seperate T&C section where it's mentioned in the middle of a long paragraph.

Going on to say "£147 is still cheaper than £175.20" isn't really relevant. I didn't sign up to pay £175.20. I didn't sign up to pay £147. I signed up to pay £129, as that was how the offer was presented. Neither can I go elsewhere as I'm locked in for 12 months. I will do once the 12 months are up, even if it means paying more as I have no wish to deal with BT further. I suppose ultimately it is my fault, though, for forgetting this was BT I was dealing with and so not going through it all with a fine-toothed comb looking for the inevitable rip-off clause.

0 Ratings