cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Silver29
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

BT Privacy and Caller Display

Can anyone explain to me how BT Privacy deals with withheld numbers.

I noticed on my caller display that a WITHHELD number was coming in, but BT had blocked it.  If BT blocks all withheld numbers I can't use it as some local NHS reminder services and local companies dial out on withheld numbers.  Are these callers told that I am rejecting withheld numbers - in which case there is no problem and they will phone again with number, but if the call just disconnects, they will think my phone is out of order and will not call me again.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Privacy and Caller Display

Have you signed up for BT Call Protect ?

If not, I can't understand why calls would be blocked unless you had blocked them.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

BT Privacy just signs you up to Telephone preference service but the blocking as @pompey1898 said either you have call protect activated or you have a phone where you can block withheld numbers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Silver29
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Completely puzzled here.  I haven't signed up for Call Protect and on checking my BT account it shows as inactive unless I add it on.

My phone will block numbers, but only those I choose and not withheld numbers in general.

I was not in time to read the full message on caller display when the call came in, but I did see WITHHELD and something about being protected.

I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again and look at the caller display more quickly.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

@Silver29 wrote:

Completely puzzled here.  I haven't signed up for Call Protect and on checking my BT account it shows as inactive unless I add it on.

My phone will block numbers, but only those I choose and not withheld numbers in general.

I was not in time to read the full message on caller display when the call came in, but I did see WITHHELD and something about being protected.

I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again and look at the caller display more quickly.

Thanks for your help.

If you saw an incoming call on the display of your 'phone then it is not BT blocking it. I suggest you review the call blocking settings on your phone to make sure you haven't missed something, "Withheld Numbers" and "No Caller ID"  are different options on my phone.

Have you consulted the user guide for your phone

Silver29
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Thanks.  Yes I have checked my phone manual.  It is a phone I have used for several years and I can add numbers to a call block list, but no facility to deal with withheld numbers.

One thing I will have to check if it happens again is whether my phone answering machine is putting a message on screen.  I recently moved from a Virgin area and used their answer service to my home here with no Virgin cabling and switched to BT meaning I had to set up my phone's own answering machine.  Nothing in the handbook mentions withheld numbers, so will just have to wait until it happens again.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

@Silver29 wrote:

Thanks.  Yes I have checked my phone manual.  It is a phone I have used for several years and I can add numbers to a call block list, but no facility to deal with withheld numbers.

One thing I will have to check if it happens again is whether my phone answering machine is putting a message on screen.  I recently moved from a Virgin area and used their answer service to my home here with no Virgin cabling and switched to BT meaning I had to set up my phone's own answering machine.  Nothing in the handbook mentions withheld numbers, so will just have to wait until it happens again.

Could it be that your answering machine is set to take the call before you've had chance to answer

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 15

@Silver29 wrote:

Thanks.  Yes I have checked my phone manual.  It is a phone I have used for several years and I can add numbers to a call block list, but no facility to deal with withheld numbers.  Call Protect will block witheld calls if you set it to.  And it's FREE

0 Ratings
Silver29
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Thanks.  But I have checked again and I am not signed up to Call Protect.

My problem is that I don't want withheld calls blocked.  I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be that anyone calling from our local hospitals could could use the phone trolley, but it was for outgoing use only and gave out a withheld number.  So anyone trying to contact me would be blocked if I was using Call Protect.

As far as answer machine is concerned.  This is set up to come in after 6 rings, but this call was cut off after 2 - 3 rings, so nothing to do with answer machine.

As I have said, I will just have to see if it happens again and what the onscreen message actually says.

Thanks for all help

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like your phone service is blocking these numbers, you wouldn't get any notification on your phone display if it was. It has to be something in your home.

0 Ratings