cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbbane
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Privacy with Caller Display and Annual Line Rental Saver

I already have Annual Line Rental Saver, which is due for renewal in October 2015.

I would like to purchase a BT 8500 Advanced Call Blocker phone set, but know I need to have Caller Display for it to work, (which I don't have at present).

I see I can "order" BT Privacy with Caller Display free for one year, but apparently need to also order, (or have) Annual Line Rental Saver.

As I already have Annual Line Rental Saver, is this sufficient, or do I need to renew my Annual Line Rental Saver early, before it runs out in October of this year, to enable the BT Privacy with Caller Display order to proceed?

Or is it better to wait to order BT Privacy with Caller Display until my Annual Line Rental is due for renewal in October?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Privacy with Caller Display and Annual Line Rental Saver

The BT Privacy with Caller Display is independent of any Line Rental Saver deal.

You can either pay for it monthly, or get it free for a year if you agree to a new 12 month telephone contract.  But, again, that 12 month contract is completely independent of Line Rental Saver.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8098/kw/bt%20privacy/c/345,361,7464

rbbane
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you very much for your response.

So in other words, as I already have Annual Line Rental Saver, I can go straight ahead and order BT Privacy with Caller Display.  

I don't have to renew the Annual Line Rental Saver right away, but can renew that as normal when it becomes due in October.

I only ask this bit again as it definitely says, in your "About BT Privacy / How much does it cost", -

"a NEW 12-month line rental contract applies".

This implies to me that the Annual Line Rental would need to be renewed immediately, (rather than waiting until October when it would normally need to be renewed).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

as has been posted already LRS and a line rental contract are different
0 Ratings
rbbane
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thank you very much John.

But, with the greatest respect, it doesn't answer my query with a simple answer.  

As I already have Annual Line Rental Saver, is that sufficient for me to go straight ahead and order BT Privacy with Caller Display.    

If not, then what do I need to do.

If the Line Rental Saver has nothing to do with it, then why does it say in the help section, relating to BT Privacy with Caller Display, ""a NEW 12-month line rental contract applies"?

Does this reference to Line Rental contract refer to a different kind of Line Rental, and not the Annual Line Rental Saver, which I already have.

Sorry if I sound thick, (which I am not), but however grateful I am for the previous answers, they do not answer my query in a simple "Yes" or "No" manner.

Many thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

no you have to renew your line rental contract to get free BT Privacy LRS is not a contract it is just a way of paying a reduced sum of money for line rental
0 Ratings
rbbane
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Many thanks for that John.  I believe I understand now.

I have to renew my Line Rental Contract (immediately if I want BT Privacy with Caller Display in the very near future), even though my present Line Rental Contract runs until October.

I presume that if I renew now I will get a rebate on the months of my old Line Rental contract still to run.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

The subtle detail is that paying Line Rental Saver does not commit you to a 12 month contract with BT.  It's just paying 12 months' line rental in one lump sum.  You can leave BT any time you like, and BT will happily keep the money you paid.  You can only renew LRS a maximum of 1 month before the old one expires.

A 12 month contract is an agreement that you will stay with BT for the next 12 months, and you will have to pay them compensation if you decide to leave early.

So signing up for the free BT privacy with caller display locks you into a 12 month contract, whether you pay Line Rental Saver or not.

There isn't a simple "yes" or "no" answer - it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons.

---

Personal opinion:

Personally, I would avoid getting locked into a 12 month contract that was completely out-of-sync with the LRS.  To keep the free caller display, you have to keep signing up for new 12 month contracts every year.  That means there is only one point in each year in which you can decide to leave BT and move to another provider without paying a penalty.  But if you still have several months to run on the LRS, you would simply lose all that money if you switched.

I am currently paying monthly for the caller display to avoid that problem.  In November, both my LRS and broadband contracts expire.  On that day, I can either (a) leave without losing anything, or (b) sign up for a new LRS, 12 month telephone contract and 12 month broadband contract all on the same day (and hopefully negotiate a good discount on the broadband in the process).

0 Ratings
rbbane
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thank you very much, Ectophile.  Your post really expains things.  

Based on what you say it looks very much the best option to opt for a monthly payment for BT Privacy and Caller Display, as this is only a small amount anyway, (instead of getting locked into a years contract) and also leave the Line Rental Saver until it becomes due in October. 

Thanks again.

0 Ratings