cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Protect

Had BT Protect for a few years and great, however just today a scam "Tesco Bank call" called again even though I had blocked it yesterday having received a number of these calls. Just wondered if it took a while for  it to take effect

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Protect

Hi @Suzieque,

Are you talking about BT Call Protect, as that has only been available for two years.

Was today's call from the same number as yesterday's ?  Most of these scam calls from spoofed numbers so the scammers are constantly changing them.

Expert
Message 3 of 7

Can anyone help me with this query?

Using BT Call Protect and setting the Do Not Disturb to 24/7 - ie to send all calls to voicemail all the time - and then setting up the VIP list for the calls which are allowed to ring through. This works great and has stopped all nuisance calls getting to the phone (at a cost of £3.50 pe rmonth though!).

But ... how do I allow "WITHHELD" numbers to ring - e.g. the doctor? I can't see a way of inserting them into the VIP list.

Or ... will they only go to voicemail if  the "button" in the settings part of BT Call Protect is switched "ON"? Thus, switching them back on there will allow them through when I am expecting a call.

Thanks for any replies.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

@RobFletcherwrote:

Can anyone help me with this query?

Using BT Call Protect and setting the Do Not Disturb to 24/7 - ie to send all calls to voicemail all the time - and then setting up the VIP list for the calls which are allowed to ring through. This works great and has stopped all nuisance calls getting to the phone (at a cost of £3.50 pe rmonth though!).

But ... how do I allow "WITHHELD" numbers to ring - e.g. the doctor? I can't see a way of inserting them into the VIP list.I don't see how you can.  Unless you set Call Protect to allow witheld numbers, in which case it will let them all through.  Sorry if I have misread your intentions here

Or ... will they only go to voicemail if  the "button" in the settings part of BT Call Protect is switched "ON"? Thus, switching them back on there will allow them through when I am expecting a call.

Thanks for any replies.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 7

I think the problem is that there's a mismatch between the two parts of the blocking system.

The BT Call Protect lets you block International, Unrecognised and Withheld numbers + those on your blacklist as well as those on the BT Blacklist.

The Do Not Disturb part allows you to say when nothing should ring your phone at certain times and is only bypassed by numbers in your VIP list.

So, to avoid nuisance calls I've set DND to all day every day, and then only those in the VIP list get through.

What I am uncertain about is how the two parts of the system interact, if they do at all? Or, if they do, which one has precedance - I am guessing the DND is done first. Which, in my mind, means all calls get blocked (go to voicemail) irrespective of whether they are specified in the Call Protect blacklisting part of the system - which then, by logical reasoning, it means that Withheld numbers also all go to voicemail.

With my junk/.voicemail now standing at 698 and blacklist at 100 - I am loathe to relax the conditions - but would like to be able to switch the Withheld numbers part in and out whilst still keeping the DND 24/7 when I know there may be a doctors call.

Maybe there's someone at BT who may be able to answer this and possibly put a train of action in place to fix this obvious area of concern.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@RobFletcherwrote:

I think the problem is that there's a mismatch between the two parts of the blocking system.

The BT Call Protect lets you block International, Unrecognised and Withheld numbers + those on your blacklist as well as those on the BT Blacklist.

The Do Not Disturb part allows you to say when nothing should ring your phone at certain times and is only bypassed by numbers in your VIP list.

So, to avoid nuisance calls I've set DND to all day every day, and then only those in the VIP list get through.

What I am uncertain about is how the two parts of the system interact, if they do at all? Or, if they do, which one has precedance - I am guessing the DND is done first. Which, in my mind, means all calls get blocked (go to voicemail) irrespective of whether they are specified in the Call Protect blacklisting part of the system - which then, by logical reasoning, it means that Withheld numbers also all go to voicemail.

With my junk/.voicemail now standing at 698 and blacklist at 100 - I am loathe to relax the conditions - but would like to be able to switch the Withheld numbers part in and out whilst still keeping the DND 24/7 when I know there may be a doctors call. Can't you ask your doctor to not withhold his/her number and then add it to your ( or is it your Mother's  - sorry if I have the wrong person here ) VIP list.

Although I am quite a keen advocate of BT Call Protect I have not found it necessary to use the VIP list or even my Call Guardain phone.

Maybe there's someone at BT who may be able to answer this and possibly put a train of action in place to fix this obvious area of concern.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Thanks. Yes, I have asked them to switch off the withheld part, but they usually don't remember or the person calling doesn't know to do it. (Yes, it is my mother's phone - 250 miles away from me!). The problem for her is that she really does have to have this level of blocking as you can see from the number of calls she gets. She averages about 12 a week, the most being 33 in one week.

Obviously before I set this all up she was answerng the phone and sometimes talking to them I guess, so she is on their "suckers" list. Not sure she'll ever be free of it now.

Rob.

0 Ratings