cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Salesperson Ordered Phone Line in my Name!

Today, my postman had a package for me - a brand new BT Home Hub 3. But I do not have a BT phone line and never placed any order with BT.

I contacted BT and they tell me (in a recorded phone conversation) that a BT member of staff placed an OFFLINE ORDER in my name - for an extra phone line at my address with broadband on 24 December.

I had made enquiries with BT for a second phone line but these were enquiries only and I never places any order. All my enquiries were made prior to 14 December - more than 10 days before the salesperson made the OFFLINE ORDER in my name. The, on Xmas Day, the same salesperson commenced a second order in my name but failed to complete that order. I now have that salesperson's full name, given to me during a recorded phone conversation with a BT emplopyee from BT's Doncaster Call Centre.

I tracked the order on BT's website and it shows that the person who placed the order used a false email address (does not exist) and an O2 mobile contact number (went straight to voice-mail).

BT quickly investigated this and I have been told that a salesperson in an office in India placed the order on 24 December using false contact details;' additionally, the salesperson also marked the account as 'email contact only' This means I received no notification of any line being ordfered in my name until taking delivery of a HomeHub today! Within a couple of hours a BT Openreach arrived, wanting to install a phone line!

I find it very disturbing that this can happen, especially when the salesperson can prevent order details being posted to me and can apparently mark me as passing a credit reference agency check, when no such check has been done!

The salesperson also used a fake date of birth and fake answers to security questions - even using my own surname as my mother's maiden name!

This experience has also set me thinking as to why all those fraudsters that call you claiming to be able to fix your computer virus problem are from India! Perhaps they are all employees of BT or other phone companies that use Indian Call Centres?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
meman887
Contributor
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Salesperson Ordered Phone Line in my Name!

Best bet is to contact them from here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Give them this link: http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Salesperson-Ordered-Phone-Line-in-my-Name/m-p/375953

If BT doesn't resolve it, I'm pretty sure ofcom would.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. Smiley Happy
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

I followed your invaluable advice but BT completely ignored my on-line complaint for eight days, despite assurance that it would be replied to within 72 hours (maximum). When they did eventually call today I was indisposed for a few minutes; I called back and was promised another call within minutes, but this was never received.

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Dear Sirs

BT employee (Sxxxxxxx Shaik) Fraudulently Ordered Phone Service in my Name

Some time in early December,2011, I made enquiries of BT for the possibility of a second phone line at the above address, my existing phone line being withTalkTalk. During those enquiries, I do recall that the BT salesperson wanted my details (including bank account details) even though I repeatedly made it clear to him that I did not wish to open an account. The only details I did provide were my name and address.

On 11/01/2012 @ 12:45hrs I took delivery of a BT HomeHub 3, sent to me via Royal Mail tracked delivery (FFxxxxxxxxxGB). The outer packaging for the BT HomeHub 3 bore an order reference number (VOL011-xxxxxxxxxxx) and I tracked this order on BT's website.

It was very disconcerting to discover that an order had been placed in my name for a new phoneline, with broadband, at my address. I saw from the order that a fake e-mail address and fake contact phone number had been used. The order was dated 24/12/2011 – more than 10 days after my contact with BT.

I contacted BT @ 13:07hrs,just 22 minutes after discovering this fraudulent order and it was immediately cancelled by BT staff. When I enquired who, within BT, handled this order, I was told by someone in an Indian Call centre that the order had been processed by a Call Centre in Doncaster. I traced a Jackie xxxxxx in the Doncaster Call Centre and called her on her mobile (07407 xxxxxx). She agreed to get this matter investigated and a few hours later, Sean from the Doncaster Call Centre called me.

In a recorded phone conversation, Sean told me that the order had been placed by a certain Sxxxxxxx SHAIK who works for BT in India. Sean told me that the order was clearly fraudulent for several reasons and had been made to generate sales commission:

The order was made OFFLINE, meaning that no prospective customer was on the phone when the order was placed.

There is no recording of any call made to BT by me agreeing to this order.

No entry was made to indicate when I supposedly placed this order.

The contact method was changed from post to e-mail immediately after order was created.

A false e-mail address (xxxxxxx.xxxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk) was used

A false contact mobile phone number was used (07928 xxxxxx)

Any requirement for a credit check was bypassed.

Sxxxxxxx Shaik commenced a second order in my name on 25/12/2011, but abandoned this.

I have since reported thisas a crime to the following:

Humberside Police

BT Security (ref: xxxxxxxx)

Action Fraud (Government's National Fraud Reporting Centre)

BT on-line complaints (BT reference: xxxxxx-xxxxxx)

BT Complaints (BT complaint reference: VOL011-xxxxxxxxxxx)

OFCOM

This fraudulent application in my name has highlighted a number of data protection issues:

The act of using my details by a BT employee to make a fraudulent account application in my name is, according to a representative of the Information Commissioners Office, a breach of principle 1 of the Data Protection Act.

The ease of obtaining accounts details, from BT's website, using just an order number and post code (from the outer wrapping of the package delivered to me) is, according to a representative of the Information Commissioner's Office a breach of principle 7 of the Data Protection Act. Using just an order number and Post Code, it is possible to discover the following:

Services ordered

Order date

Estimated order  completion date

Delivery and billing  addresses

Phone number  assigned to the new line

Customer's e-mail  address

Customer's contact  phone number

I request your proposals for dealing with these issues and for compensating me for my time, inconvenience and worry over these unfortunate events. I wish to ensure that no services can be fraudulently placed by BT staff in future, and I request you tell me how you will achieve this.

Should the issues not be resolved by 8 March, 2012, I intend to pursue complaints with OFCOM,the Ombudsman Services and the Information Commissioner.

Yours faithfully

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Hi PaulVarjak,

I would like to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the link found in the "about me" section of my profile?

Please make sure to include any order number you might have.

Thanks

Paddy,

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Yes, I will do that Paddy, thank you.

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

My aunt and I are now receiving Bogus Phone Calls from India

You may have noticed this is the second complaint I have lodged on these forums about BT in recent weeks; the other problem relating to my aunt's BT phone line that has apparently been receiving test calls just after midnight, every night for about 10 weeks.

I think it no coincidence that both my aunt and I are now receiving phone calls from India. My aunt has received two phone calls about her infected PC! The thing is she does not have an infected PC but BT does have an outstanding broadband fault on her line (from 5 November, 2006) - even though she does not have broadband! These calls started within two weeks of me contacting BT about a fault on her line.

Last night I received a call from someone in Calcutta wanting to do a BRITISH LIFESTYLE SURVEY. One of the companies they claimed to represent was Talktalk. Again, I think it no coincidence that 9 days after I contacted BT about the fraudulent order placed in my name (by a BT employee in India), that I receive a call from someone in India wanting to a "1 minute survey".

I agreed to do the survey as I wanted to find out more information about trhe scam, but the first question was to ask for my Post Code; when I refiused, he hung up. I did record the call and would be happy to forward it to you for investigation.

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Re: My aunt and I are now receiving Bogus Phone Calls from India

I should have mentioned that I did initiate a trace of the call received from Calcutta, by dialling 1477. But as I am with Talktalk this probably doe not really help you! Interestingly, althouigh the call supposedly came from Calcutta, it showed as 'withheld' rather than 'international'. The call was received at 8.05pm 20/01/2012. After the caller hung up. there was an intermittent high-pitched tone on the line - unfortunately this tone was not recorded as my recording equipment automatically stopped recording when he hung up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

@PaulVarjak wrote:

You may have noticed this is the second complaint I have lodged on these forums about BT in recent weeks; the other problem relating to my aunt's BT phone line that has apparently been receiving test calls just after midnight, every night for about 10 weeks.

I think it no coincidence that both my aunt and I are now receiving phone calls from India. My aunt has received two phone calls about her infected PC! The thing is she does not have an infected PC but BT does have an outstanding broadband fault on her line (from 5 November, 2006) - even though she does not have broadband! These calls started within two weeks of me contacting BT about a fault on her line.

Last night I received a call from someone in Calcutta wanting to do a BRITISH LIFESTYLE SURVEY. One of the companies they claimed to represent was Talktalk. Again, I think it no coincidence that 9 days after I contacted BT about the fraudulent order placed in my name (by a BT employee in India), that I receive a call from someone in India wanting to a "1 minute survey".

I agreed to do the survey as I wanted to find out more information about trhe scam, but the first question was to ask for my Post Code; when I refiused, he hung up. I did record the call and would be happy to forward it to you for investigation.

If I may say, these calls about an infected PC or other things you or your Aunt are receiving are almost certainly a coincidence. These people make calls to anyone on any ISP, and have been doing so for years. I've strung along one of thes "infected PC" scammers in the past.

How do you know they are from Calcutta or indeed even India ? An accent can be from a person anywhere in the world, and the call made over a VoIP system.

Also you say that these are many days after your initial complaints were lodged, frankly that points even more to it being completely coincidental.

These people can easily say they represent a certain company, because telephone ranges are controlled by OFCOM, and spreadsheets of the ranges and which company in the UK has been allocated them are freely available from the OFCOM website.

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Andy_N, in response to your thoughtful reply...

I agree that these scammers will target anyone no matter with what ISP they are with; however, I am sure they do determine likely targets and would not repeatedly call someone they did not think had broadband. One reason I had called BT was because of an outstanding 'broadband fault' showing on my aunt's line, on BT's faults page. But my aunt had no broadband, and never has; she does not use a computer!

In my second post, I was actually questioning whether they were calling from Calcutta as the number was showing 'withheld', rather than 'international' as is usual for calls from overseas, where the number is not known. If, indeed, the call was from Calcutta (as claimed) the fact that 'withheld' was being shown would indicate that, at least, the number being 'withheld' was a UK number. Someone withholding their number from a BT call centre in India would probably also show as 'withheld', rather an 'international'.

The fact that there were several days between my calls to BT and the 'scam' calls to me and my aunt is actually in line with the fraudulent account opened up by Mr. S. Shaik on 24 December. Mr. Shaik opened that account in my name about 2 weeks after I enquired about the possibility of installing a second phone in my property - that is actuially what Mr. Shaik ordered in my name - a second line at my property, and I don't think that was a coincidence either. Mr. Shaik is definitely in India.

The man who called purporting to be from BRITISH LIFESTYLE SURVEY was offering services from a variety of companies (including British Gas and TalkTalk). A common theme amongst that list of companies is that they have Call Centres, where? You guessed it, in India! Maybe that is just a coincidence too?

0 Ratings