cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

BT Text fault - STILL not working correctly, 3rd report called in today

Smiley Sad My mother (who is 77) relies a lot on the BT Text service, as she cannot hear very well.  Suddenly her received SMS texts were converted to synthesised voice messages 4 days ago, although she can still send out an SMS text.     Caller display still active (interestingly, problem started when renewed the Line Rental Saver which includes  free BT Privacy/Caller Display!).  Each time I ring BT to report, I am told that the fault has been passed on to the engineers - & each time I get a text to my mobile from 64364 saying that "It should be OK now" though I "might need to restart my hub".  I have followed their instructions to the letter on 3 occasions now, but STILL no readable texts can get through - instead her phone rings with a voice message, which she cannot decipher, & she is getting very upset & panicky.  I was told this morning that it is "not allowed" for me to speak with the engineers directly, so I have to try & relay the sequence of the fault development to a different agent each time - they just refer to the tech team, who just send an automated text message back (see before).  PLEASE HELP

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT Text fault - STILL not working correctly, 3rd report called in today

Hi LilaKitten,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Hi David - thanks for your replies, I've now followed your link as advised - 6 advisors & 3 hours of calls now, but no further forward - apparantly nobody can speak to Openreach directly, not even BT staff!  Such a simple problem, such a lot of anxiety & stress to try & rectify from the customer's viewpoint.   Will keep my fingers crossed until Monday when they start work again, many thanks again!  Penny

0 Ratings
LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

HELP - Openreach engineer due tomorrow, want to postpone as threatened £129.99 charge if can't find the fault, got more info about this fault but cannot PM DavidM as "not enabled" - is there another Moderator out there willing to help PLEASE? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

You will only pay if the fault is proven to your own phone.

If you now think that it might be, then the quickest way to cancel would be to call 151, and speak to BT direct.

LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Hi - I don't think it is - moderator DavidM has all the info - but frightened that BT will charge regardless!  Been doing my own research on BT Text using many different mobiles & nearly 50 messages sent:-   Virgin Mobile SMS immediately bounce-back (3 different handsets), Orange SMS delivered correctly (2 handsets), '3' Mobile SMS delivered as Text-to-Speech (1 handset),  unfortunately cannot try other networks as I don't know anybody on eg T-Mobile, Vodaphone etc etc.  Sending SMS no problem at all, just receiving.  Was absolutely fine with EVERY network for over 3 years until 8th March, strangely when line rental saver was renewed... tried everything I can at this end, at least I think so... XX

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 29

Hi LilaKitten

David is in the office shortly I shall notify him of your post.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

I cannot see what an Openreach technician will be able to do, as this sounds like a network issue, but if you can demonstate that there is a fault, then I suspect that they will simply pass it back to BT Operate using the AF (Action Further) code, which should not raise a charge.

The Openreach technicians used to have BT Mobile phones, on the Vodaphone network, so they should be able to send some text messages to test it.

LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Thanks Keith - I've saved my PM to send later, more details enclosed within (eg broadband fault which occurred 3 days 20th-23rd march, maybe significant, maybe not..) but Mum is 77 & is scared that she will be charged this fee.  All she wants is to be able to use the BT Text SMS as she did before, she cannot hear very well so relies heavily on it.  Should I ring Virgin mobile & '3' mobile to see if they are can pinpoint the fault at their ends?  I just wish I knew somebody on eg Vodaphone to add more data.  Thanks again, Penny

0 Ratings
LilaKitten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

P.S. I didn't think the Openreach techs would be able to do anything either, which is why I have spent nearly 4 hours now on the phone to 151 trying to explain to very nice people who really have no clue what the problem is.  Trying to avoid wasted journeys from Openreach engineers, possible charges to Mum too, as it sounds like a Network/Server problem - NOT internal wiring (which BT have tried to insinuate) but I have seen on this forum people who have had similar problems being told 'Caller Display' was not activated (when it was) as being the reason for their fault.  Do not want to cost BT itself for a wasted journey, the money could surely be spent better elsewhere, so I have tried & tried to give as much info as I can - including passing on details of personal mobile numbers (since which some have had marketing texts...never before received) with the relevant dates/times etc. Thanks again, Penny

0 Ratings