cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Coiled88
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT and Openreach an unhealthy partnership

I moved house in January this year and applied to BT for a telephone and basic broadband package. The house is not a newbuild so was told the connection would be straight forward. I work from home a couple of days a week as part of my job so a working telephone and broadband connection are absolutely vital for me. No phone = no Job.

Firstly I had to wait over three weeks for an engineer to come to the property, when they did it was past 6pm having waited in all day - only to be told that it needed to be connected to the pole and that was outside of his job function. He did however tell me that another team would connect this the next day.

Next day came and went, as did the next three days. I was told by BT that Openreach would update them in the next 24 hours to confirm that the work had been done. No response for a further two days - when contacting BT again they told me that Openreach would take another 24hrs to update them on the status. - even though this was told to me some 48hrs previously.  The BT customer services rep then tells me that Openreach as a supplier are under no obligation to respond in a timely manner, to carry out the work or have any escalation procedure via BT to move things on any quicker.  - Unbelievably they also agree that Openreach run as a separate entity and due to the nature of the network operate as a virtual monopoly. - I ask for a Manager to call me as soon as possible.

A manager finally calls to say that the external work has been completed but another engineer visit will be needed to the property ( another day of work - please bear in mind that on the days I am supposed to be working from home I am having to take as a holiday - 6 and counting!)

I am given a new engineers date 6 days later!!!!, and this time the Openreach engineer doesn't even turn up!!

Further calls to BT establish no reason for the failure to show, in fact Openreach will not assign another engineer until they hear from the one that did not show. I ask for a manager to call me the next day.

No call from the BT manager, no apology or reason why.

Call BT again and this time I am promised a manager will call me and escalate this today. Just received a text message stating that I will now be contacted on Monday with an update as to why Openreach never turned up??????
 - but true to form - no call from a BT manager. and no prospect of resolving this any time soon.

Not only is this experience highlighting the appallingly poor customer service from BT and its managers, it also highlights the more worrying problem that the relationship between BT and Openreach is extremely unhealthy. Effectively BT sell products and services that they cannot guarantee can be supplied in a realistic timeframe by their supplier.

My very job is on the line and BT are unable to get any answers or resolution from Openreach.

to be continued....

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT and Openreach an unhealthy partnership

Hi Coiled88,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am so sorry to read of the experience you have had.  I can appreciate the gravity of the situation and would like to help.

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT order number and the link to this thread.  Once I have your details I will find out what is going on.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Coiled88
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Thanks Sean, details sent

0 Ratings
Coiled88
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Hello Sean, having had no reply from management or anyone at BT this afternoon, I have taken it on myself to yet again call to be told that the manager who was supposed to reply to me (Sinita from the Leicester office) is just not responding - no reason no excuse - no appology.

This latest BT customer service rep told me that the earliest he could do after talking to openreach was the 11th of March.

So much for any kind of escalation in either BT or Openreach as I can go online and book this date myself.

He also confirmed that the telephone number and pin number I was given to contact the resolution team by another advisor last night will not work.

Reaching desperation levels now. On the 11th of March I will have had to take 8 days of holiday.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 14

Sorry about this, we have your details in our email queue and we will get back to you.

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Unfortunately, there is no real relationship between BT and Openreach.

OFCOM decreed that BT must spin off Openreach as a separate entity.  They are owned by BT Group, but are separate from the BT Retail people you speak to.

Openreach have a monopoly on phone line installation and repair in the UK, with the exception of Virgin cable.  They are not answerable to anybody, and they really don't care how bad their customer service is (their customers being the phone and internet suppliers, not you).

Coiled88
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Still no call from BT, no date of a new engineers visit - or even a response from the community managers, I did get a text message yesterday stating that my new broadband start date would by the 27th February 2013 - Although it was the 3rd of March 2013 - seems even the automated notification system needs looking at.

0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Hi Coiled88,

Stephanie has confirmed that they have your details in their queue. They normally respond within 3 working days - sometimes faster dpending on the queue size and complexity of the problems.

My own experience is that the forum mods do a very good job in sorting out problems so it's best left to them - contacting India/Leicester/Newcastle at the same time could only confuse the issues.

Hope your problem gets sorted out quickly.

Cheers,

Alan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michty6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I would make sure and lodge a formal complaint with Ofcom regarding this too.

0 Ratings
Coiled88
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

One step forward - three steps back.

Update:  A BT manager called me yesterday to say that the external work, (contrary to a previous BT managers assertions that the the external works had been completed) have yet to be completed!!!. She is now waiting back to hear from Openreach on the status of this work before an engineers visit can be rebooked, another 24-48hr wait in the Openreach 'Priority' queue - so much for the 11th of March appointment then as this will be delayed, looks like I am back to where I was on the 17th of February with a resolution even further away than ever.

Time since ordering my Broadband and telephone line: 47 days and counting (so much for the "may take UPTO 26 days" BT statement ) Any bets on how many days it will finally take?

Shambles!

0 Ratings