Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikedowen
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT caller ID stopped working

Hi folks,

About a couple of weeks ago, Caller ID (BT) appears to have stopped working (we've had this for years and it's always worked perfectly prior to this). When You get an incomming call now, it just usually says "incomming call". Though a couple of times, on checking the CID list, there appeared to be a couple of partial numbers in there! No problem I thought, I'd replace the rather old cordless BT phone with a new Panasonic KX-TGD310 (IE. old phone must be faulty). But ... Caller ID also doesn't seem to work on this. On checking the CID list on the new ohone, it says:

"you must first subscribe to caller ID".

So into fault finding mode I go.

- First I checked that caller ID is still switched on (IE. dial * # 234 #). The message says that it is.

- Then removed the BT filtered faceplate and plugged directly into the BT master socket. Still no joy.

- Then I disconnected and switched off everything that I could think of in the house, that could be causing interference (SKY, Youview, Broadband, alarm etc.). Still doesn't work.

Should point out that I've not installed anything new (electronics wise) in the house for several months. And that we live in the middle of nowhere, so can't be getting any problems from the people next door.

Now this is where it get "interesting".

Just for fun (ha ha). I tried plugging in a very old corded phone with caller ID function in it. And surprise, surprise, this actually works (IE. shows the numbers of incomming calls). What!!!!!!!  But any cordless phone plugged into the same socket (master, or otherwise), wont! I even borrowed a cordless phone from a friend, that I knew worked at their house, but plugged into my BT master socket... it doesn't.

I've tried GOOGLE and can see loads of moans about caller ID not working and even a couple of scenarios identical to mine (IE. old corded phone works, cordless wont). But no real solutions seem to present themseves.

Anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Not tried to report a fault to BT about this yet. Thought I'd float it past you folks first.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT caller ID stopped working

The way CLI (calling line identification) works, is just before ringing current is sent to line ( from the exchange towards your telephone ) you get a 'data burst'  ( though  it's not a 'digital' data stream, it's FSK , frequency shift keying) sent first, this contains the CLI info that is decoded by whatever device is used to display the calling number, then the phone starts to ring.

If you have broadband , this data burst doesn't go direct from the exchange to your 'phone', it in effect travels in and out of your broadband port then to line ...there seems evidence that a faulty broadband port degrades the CLI data as its pass thru the broadband port , consequently the phone is unable to decode this degraded data and shows 'incoming call' or whatever it's default display is, ....strangely some equipment ( tends to be older kit) is better at decoding this degraded data, hence why you may get the odd device that still works, when other newer devices don't  ( which also makes locating the 'fault' tricky.)

The problem is , although it's your broadband port that's faulty, it doesn't affect the broadband service itself, so you end up in a situation where you need to be 'lift and shifted' from your current broadband port to another one, but unfortunatly your broadband provider will probably say ' why are you reporting a telephony problem ( CLI not working) to your ISP rather than your 

'landline' provider....even if it's the same company that provide both broadband and telephony depending on the fault type raised dictates which department gets involved.

What you may have to do is report the landline faulty (no CLI) and when the engineer calls , explain you may need a broadband port change, even though they will be expecting to check the telephony part of your line...it's possible they may already be aware of this issue, if not , you may need to explain.

I read somewhere 'BT' are aware of the issue  and that it seems to be induced voltage spikes due to lightning that damages the broadband port 

Message 3 of 8

@mikedowen If you need any help with this we can report the problem with your caller display to the engineers and request that you're changed to a different broadband port to fix this. 

@iniltous That's a great explanation Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
mikedowen
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

@iniltous

That's a great explanation and tends to tie up with other things that I've read on the Net.

Thanks... appreciated.

PS. Might be a coincidence, but we did have massive thunder storms a few weeks back,

0 Ratings
mikedowen
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

@NeilO

Any help would be appreciated, as I've never had much luck talking to BT in the past.

Question. Does the fact that my broadband is "partial LLU" (IE. only the broaband is unbundled) make this more difficult? Uno broadband (that's really XILO) using TalkTalk kit in our local exchange. Or will I need to try and bring this up with my ISP (IE. Uno)???

PS. The microwave blew up this evening, so just waiting for the 3rd thing to go wrong!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @mikedowen and thanks for posting.

I think @iniltous has nailed this. 'The problem is , although it's your broadband port that's faulty, it doesn't affect the broadband service itself.' so your best bet would be to try your current ISP first to check if they're happy to change the port. Going down the route of getting a line engineer out and then trying to explain what needs doing while he's onsite could get messy.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
mikedowen
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@DavidM

Thanks for the reply.

I think Uno has it's own community forum. If not, then I'll raise on Thinkbroadband (which I know Uno monitor) and I'll reference this thread if that's OK. And see where we go from there.

I'll keep this thread updated when I hear anything.

Thanks all once again.

0 Ratings
mikedowen
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thought that I'd post an update.

Reported this to my ISP and they've tried to push this as hard as they can. But with the threat of potentially expensive Openreach SFI visit/s, I've decided to give up and live with it.

I've now tried several cordless phones (including in the BT master test socket) and while they all appear to work (caller ID wise) on a friends line, it's no go on mine. Weird it is.

But strangely (as I’ve mentioned before) corded analogue phones work! So what I’ve done today, is purchase a couple of new feature rich corded analogue phones to replace the digital ones and they work a treat.

As I said to my ISP.

I’ll just chalk this up to being one of the great unsolved (ha) mysteries of the world.

Thanks for everyones help up to now.

0 Ratings