cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigheadjenks
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT engineer no show and now want to charge me £130 please help me !

Hello,
I have recently moved into a new house and was waiting for an bt engineer to set up my TV Internet and phone but they were a no show, I waited in all day for the engineer to arrive but when I rang was told that nobody was booked in to see me yet I have the email sent to me say please stay in as the engineer is on the way and BT now want to charge me £130 as when they test the line there is no fault. I spoke to the last owners and they never had a problem with their phone so I don't know what the problem is. I keep getting the same error on my phone and hub. Is it something I can fix myself ? Can anybody help as I am at my wits end. I have pictures of the master socket and junction box if it is any help.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT engineer no show and now want to charge me £130 please help me !

have you tried connecting to the test socket  if  still not working therevdslfaceplatefront2.JPG it is not chargable 

0 Ratings
bigheadjenks
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi John, yes I have connected to the test socket and still no luck my phone just reads line cord error and my hub flashes orange. All I know about the phone line is from the previous owner they had everything with sky only used the phone occasionally and when they did so they connected it to the master socket with no issues.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If the test socket is dead, then the fault is outside, and the £130 charge will not apply. All you can do is to request another visit.

You also mentioned a junction box, is that before the master socket, as damage to that, if its inside your house, may be chargeable?

See

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
bigheadjenks
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I have requested another visit (hopefully they will turn up) what worries me is that there is a little junction box which has seen better days, where the wire from the master socket goes up the wall into the box, inside it there is three wires from the outside world, green, white with blue and then blue with white and they are then connected up into three pins to my wires as follows the blue with white goes to my blue with white in pin A the white with blue goes to pin B with my orange and white then the green is in the last pin with my green so does that junction box count as my home wiring or is that BTs responsibility as well.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Provided that the cables on the outside wall have not been damaged, as described on that page, then you should not be charged.

Make sure there are no other sockets that may be working, as the line test does not show a fault, this could also be due to a wrong connection in the street cabinet, and the line is going to a different customer.

Its actually Openreach, not BT Retail, that look after the external network.

0 Ratings
bigheadjenks
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

This is a picture of the junction box.
https://imageshack.com/i/ipQOszZvj

And this the socket.
https://imageshack.com/i/f0R3iASzj

Also a picture of terminal A and B
https://imageshack.us/i/pb0o4jCIj
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Its difficult to say, its going to depend on what the Openreach Field Technician says when they close the task, after the visit.

If there is only one socket, then they may remove that box.

The Home Improvement Charge is just that. If the wiring needs updating, then that is what they will do, and you will be charged.

In the long term, updating the wiring is going to reduce the chances of a fault within your house.

0 Ratings