cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilot509
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT have lost my existing phone number.....PLEASE HELP

We were with Talktalk and decided to move over to BT to get faster (Fibre) broadband. When placing the order I specified that we needed to keep our existing telephone number, and were told that won't be a problem, we might need to give you a temporary number and then you can request a renumber once the line is active. On the 28.07.15 we transferred over to BT. I called and requested a renumber. I was told it would take 48 hours to transfer the number. A few days later I was told "We can't do that due to the line not being active" I told them I had done what they said, but I just keep being told "Please wait another 48 hours"

I haven't moved house, line or exchange but I am told I can't have my number back?

I have business cards, stationery and other things with my existing number on, they are all now obsolete and will cost £££ to replace.

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY PHONE NUMBER BACK

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT have lost my existing phone number.....PLEASE HELP

@Pilot509 wrote:

WI have business cards, stationery and other things with my existing number on, they are all now obsolete and will cost £££ to replace.

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

The BT Business team should be able to sort this out for you.

Thanks

BT do not permit you to use a residential account to run a business, as its against their T&Cs, so you would not get any sympathy if you were doing that.

There may be reasons why you cannot have your number back. The chances are is that its been released back into the pool of numbers used by TalkTalk, and will be re-issued to another user, somtime in the future, or TalkTalk have refused to release the number to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Pilot509
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Dear Keith,

I am NOT a business user. I don't have to have a business to have business cards and stationary!

I need help getting this sorted as I have lost my HOME phone number!

PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME.

BT customer service is none existant, this is my last hope before I complain to Ofcom and cancel my contract with BT.

Again I am a HOME user and do not have a business account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

As Keith posted sounds more like your old provider will not release your old number it is not the first time they have done it on a provider change

OFCOM do not deal with individual complaints

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Hi Pilot509,

I'm sorry about the problems with getting your number back. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll see if anything can be done to get this back for you. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Are you running a business on a residential phone line?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@Devon_Dave wrote:
Are you running a business on a residential phone line?

Dave, they say that they are not running a business, so it could simply be that they are a professional, who have personal contact cards and stationery. Think of people like MPs and NHS consultants etc.

It wood be foolish to try and operate a business on a residential line anyway, as there would be no compensation for loss.

The loss of a number is always a risk if you move between Service Providers. And even worse if you move home. There is always going to be a hidden cost if you have to get stuff reprinted.

Luckily it does not cost much these days for contact cards and stationery.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 15

good point Keith, not worth the risk I'm sure.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Pilot509
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Dear Keith,

To replace my stationary it will cost me around £130. I don't think that is a small amount, and I shouldn't be out of pocket due to BT's incompetence.

As I have stated right from the start. I was promised I would be able to keep my number by BT. I haven't moved home, changed exchange or anything. I was with Talktalk....and Talktalk are part of BT, so getting my number back shouldn't be a problem (So I am told by BT staff)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

TalkTalk are nothing to do with BT Retail, they are just another Service Provider and have their own range of numbers. If you move to a different Service Provider, then TalkTalk would have to agree to release the number to BT Retail.

Some Service Providers are reluctant to do this, and it can take a long time. Perhaps you need to ask TalkTalk whether they have released the number to BT Retail.

0 Ratings