cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT is not investigating blocked calls?

I have had to reset my blocked call list which was full up.  I should be interested to know if BT is taking steps to analyse blocked calls and do something about the numbers that occur frequently on many different users' lists?  Despite blocking them, I am still receiving a nuisance call every few days, often at inconventient times, for eaxample, early morning.  Customers' efforts to block these calls would be futile if BT is not investigating? Do other BT customers agree?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT is not investigating blocked calls?

Trying to block spoofed numbers is akin to nailing fog.

The only way to stop nuisance calls is with a call blocking phone using a whitelist rather than trying to blacklist every conceivable number possible.

Message 3 of 8

The numbers that you are blocking are "spoofed" and are not the numbers that are making the calls and as such you are wasting your time blocking the number that purports to be the originating phone number.

See links about "Spoofed" numbers and you will find much more information regarding it if you do an Internet search.

Number spoofing scams - Ofcom

Caller ID spoofing - Wikipedia

The rise of number spoofing – are you at risk? – Which? News

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the information. Are you sure that every number is spoofed? They are not random and do repeat, or at least are often similar . Also, my question was does BT make any use of the blocked number data, if only to investigate which numbers are being spoofed? By the way, yes a call blocker is worth having. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Given that the scammers use a computer to call thousands if not hundreds of thousands of phone numbers on a daily basis I am certain that the numbers they are purporting to be from are spoofed.

If you to a search on YouTube for "scammers using spoofed numbers"  you will find a load of posts which may give you an idea as to how wide spread it is and how it is very difficult to stop it from happening.

As regards the blocked call data. If it was easy to stop or investigate as you have suggested I suspect that every Telecom Company in the world would have stopped it by now.

A call blocker works for genuine numbers but not for spoofed numbers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

“Call Blockers work for genuine numbers but not for spoofed numbers”?  You previously suggested that a call blocker was a better option than BT’s call blocking feature but, if the nuisance calls are all from spoofed numbers, you are now saying that a call blocker won’t help?  I was about to invest in a call blocker but your latest reply has stopped me!  Many thanks for your advice which is appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

As far as I'm aware a call blocking phone works for all numbers, spoofed or otherwise. It works on a whitelist rather than a blacklist. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Brawly wrote:

“Call Blockers work for genuine numbers but not for spoofed numbers”?  You previously suggested that a call blocker was a better option than BT’s call blocking feature but, if the nuisance calls are all from spoofed numbers, you are now saying that a call blocker won’t help?  I was about to invest in a call blocker but your latest reply has stopped me!  Many thanks for your advice which is appreciated.

If you re-read my posts you will see that I did not " previously suggested that a call blocker was a better option than BT’s call blocking feature" nor have I made any comment regarding call blocking PHONES.