Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT line into house

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-20 at 15.47.39.jpeg

Thinking of having CCTV fitted and these days EVERYTHING is needing WIFI connections, NOW with this exterior junction box, the wire can easily be cut one day, making line and broadband fail, then nothing would get recorded later in day or whenever ?

SHOULD BT NOT have also covered the wire from their line to wall of house to install into main junction box inside ???

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT line into house

@Scoobish 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7

If you live in a house built after Privatisation then chances are it would’ve been the Builder/Developer who did that, not BT or Openreach.

Technically the cable shouldn’t even be there, it is stated in the Developers Handbook if they’re going to joint an Internal Cable outside to the UG Lead In then they should use a BT66b. A Capping 101a Cover like that should only be used in the UG Lead In goes directly to the back plate of the NTE.

Although 99 times out of 100 Builders/Developers never follow the Handbook.

Anyway even if that cable was behind the Capping or Jointed in a BT66b and a person was determined to break into your house I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t let undoing a few screws stop to get to the cable to cut it stop them.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

B T

Though the only time they came out was to link the line from outside to the inner junction box under stairs

As a previous reply said it could well be the Builders ( KIER) installed ALL cabling, and had poorly finished it on the outside front door

WOULD be nice to see who could be responsible to make it more secure than as is

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

How long has the cable been like that? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

ever since i moved into the new build in july 2018, i was never really concerned about it, but i think other houses dont have such a wire showing outside, and thinking of having cctv wifi installed, just made me more aware a simple cut beforehand to coming back later or through the night would be a problem, a cover can of course be unscrewed but usually they go for the those less secure, and that wire is definitely LESS secure

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Are you certain that is the only wire feeding your telephone service? Could that wire not be the main socket feed but an extension socket elsewhere in the home?

If an intruder wanted to cut your telephone line there are plenty of other places in the network they could inflict damage 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings