Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
oberdiah
Message 1 of 5

BT line under bathroom window frame vs. new window installation

Go to solution

Hello

We bought our house in 2011 and had BT come in to connect a new phone line. The previous owner used Virgin cable and there was no BT socket if I remember correctly.

The line enters the house under the bathroom window frame and over the window cill inside, behind toilet, through door frame, down the staircase and finally the master socket at the bottom of the stairs.

Anyway, the bathroom window needs replacing and my concern is the cable. Should it be re-routed somewhere by BT prior to install or is this location common practice and just needs care by the window fitter? The window fitter has said he will not be responsible for any damage caused to the cable. Not sure of the process or if there even is one to be honest.

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT line under bathroom window frame vs. new window installation

Go to solution

The fitter needs to be extra careful. If the cable is damaged then you would have to pay BT £130 to have it replaced.

You could have it re-routed beforehand, but the cost would be the same.

0 Ratings
oberdiah
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Keith

Same cost as you say, I've made them very aware it's there. Is it typical to run them under/around window frames? See what happens on the day I guess...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@oberdiah wrote:

Thanks Keith

Same cost as you say, I've made them very aware it's there. Is it typical to run them under/around window frames? See what happens on the day I guess...

It was often done that way in the past, but I cannot see it being done these days.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Get this all the time, ‘why was the cable put there, why was the socket put there, etc’.

Short answer, the only two people who will know are the bloke who put it there and the person who asked/agreed to put it there and both are long gone so your guess is as good as mine.
0 Ratings