cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT lost my landline number during Broadband switch. How can such poor service be possible? Anyone?

I have had the same landline number for over 25 years. Despite moving home and broadband provider several times in the past i have always been able to port the number. This time I was lured away from Sky's Broadband and Calls service by a promised trouble free switch back to BT and a reduction in costs if I moved to their Digital Voice service. Broadband was switched on 6th November and I was told the phone was switched to Digital Voice on the 5th November. Despite numerous call with Complaints I am now told BT have lost the number and there is no chance of recovery? How can they market a service which is clearly not up to scratch. Very disappointed with BT attitude to customers. We have friends and relatives around the world who have kept in touch via this landline number for many years and now cant. Anyone with similar experience?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT lost my landline number during Broadband switch. How can such poor service be possible? Anyon

@jeccleston 

Welcome to this user forum.

Who originally issued you with your phone number, as they would be the owner of your number?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT lost my landline number during Broadband switch. How can such poor service be possible? Anyon

Which provider allocated you you phone number initially 25 years ago?  If you have moved home often since initial allocation are you still on same exchange?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

The phone number was originally allocated by BT. House moves have all been within this exchange area. A previous switch from Sky to BT as the service provider to this same property had gone without issue. We are told that the current problem is because we are switching from copper service to digital supply into the home but this doesn't make sense as nothing has physically changed. It sounds very much like an excuse. No specific warnings were given about the potential loss of number in the marketing pitch on BT website :-

"For most households, upgrading to Digital Voice will have no impact on how you use your phone today. Digital Voice will give you the same reliability, trust and familiarity of your current home phone service and it will enable new benefits and features, such as crystal clear calls and the ability to block nuisance calls at the touch of a button."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@jeccleston 

Why have you moved to digital voice, are you now on an FTTP (direct optical fibre) connection, as that is the only service which digital voice is being provided on?

If you are not on FTTP, then you should not have been sold digital voice.

When you refer to exchange area, are you referring to the physical exchange building?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I believe I was pushed or guided towards Digital Voice by BT sales/switch website Q&A process i.e. entered phone number and account/address details which were checked and was pushed towards choosing Digital Voice because of cheaper operating charges, improved quality and the understanding that within 5 years all land lines will be switched to digital service. I agree entirely I should not have been sold Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

By exchange I am referring to physical building within my area I suppose. All homes have been within 3 miles of this. We currently have fibre broadband

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@jeccleston wrote:

I believe I was pushed or guided towards Digital Voice by BT sales/switch website Q&A process i.e. entered phone number and account/address details which were checked and was pushed towards choosing Digital Voice because of cheaper operating charges, improved quality and the understanding that within 5 years all land lines will be switched to digital service. I agree entirely I should not have been sold Digital Voice.

It theory, it should be possible to migrate numbers to digital voice, otherwise its going to cause issues in the future.

At the moment, there is no advantage in having it on an FTTC connection, in fact I would see it as a disadvantage when it comes to fault finding.

The problem is that the DV service is not looked after by the normal BT people, but by the same people who look after FTTP. Whether they can arrange a renumber, I am not sure, you would have to ask them.

They can be contacted on 0800 587 4787.

At the moment, the only solution I can see, would be to move your phone service back to copper, but you could not use the new digital voice handsets.