Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

BT lost my phone number

Just moved from Talk Talk to BT and my number has been lost. I live in the country and openreach has upgraded the cables with FTP.  Talk Talk would not pay the openreach charges so would not install the fibre so I was basically forced to use BT as the only other option was to stay using the 1mb intermitent broadband.  I had the line originally from BT back in 1980 as a business line but moved to residential line about 12years ago. Went to Sky for a couple of years and then to Talk Talk. At the same house for 36 years and moved three miles up the road two years ago and Talk Talk moved the number with no problem. Phoned BT and asked if I moved to them with the new FTP could I keep my number and they said 99% of the time it is ok. I said this wasn't acceptable as I still had this as my number for my business so I needed a 100% guarantee or I would not move. They routed me around to different departments and a BT lady told me that as long as I had a dual cable fitted it would remove any doubt of the number not being transfered. Low and behold four days after the job had been done, thinking work was just a bit slow, a customer phoned my mobile to find out why we were not taking incoming calls, at that point I realised BT had given me a new number. I rang the openreach engineer and he said the new BT line was coming from a different exchange to my existing copper line so they would have to divert it. This now don't appear to be happening, just get text messages from BT saying I have to accept the new number. Now I have found out that the number is registered at the same exchange as the new phone line and because of that the engineer can't even explain how I have been recieving calls for the last two years as the number and the line are on different exchanges.  Even if I had stayed with the business line this would still have happened, but as I have had the number for so long it is listed on thousands of directories that I have signed up to over the last 25 years resulting in no work calls for ten days and counting. What annoys me is that this info about the lines is easy for the operatives to see now that I have signed up for 18 months but they couldn't see it before I signed on the dotted line. I am still within my 14 days cancelation time but they say if I went back to Talk Talk on the old copper line, I still won't get my number back. I am beginning to realise that 1mb of brodband is better than no business.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT lost my phone number

So far it doesn't look as though anyone can help me with this but it has now happened to my next door neighbour.

BT now say my new line comes from the Basingstoke exchange but my existing number is in a Talk Talk cabinet at Hook and they have no access to it, does anyone know if this is true or are they just fobbing me off again. My Neighbour has been told by Talk Talk that if BT contacts them to request the number, they will release it so that it can be assigned to the Basingstoke exchange. BT just says they don't talk to other providers. Surely in this day and age it must be simple to move a number two miles down the road to another exchange in the same area code. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

BT Retail do not allocate phone numbers, they are assigned to each provider by Ofcom.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

If your number belongs to TT, then it cannot be physically mapped to your local BT Retail exchange, as each physical exchange has its own number allocation which cannot be changed, as its defined in hardware.

If your number was originally allocated by BT Retail, and is owned by them, it can only be supplied from your local exchange (not the exchange area), so if you have moved to a different address since your number was first issued, then it not physically possible to give you that same number back.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

This is where it gets even more confusing. The number was originally a BT number and I moved  Talk Talk but stayed in the same house. I moved two years ago, about two miles up the road and the number came with me but now going back to BT it can't be reversed.  Does this mean that Talk Talk was able to move the number from one exchange to another but BT can't do it the other way around.

If I cancel my new BT contract and go back to 1mb broadband with Talk Talk, would I be able to get the old number back then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

If the number was issued by BT Retail, and if the address that you are now living is still physically connected to the same exchange, then you should be able to get your number back.

Moving two miles, can easily mean that you are now physically connected to a different exchange, in which case, keeping your old number is not possible, as each BT Exchange have their own number range which cannot be changed.

TT have their own equipment which can map most numbers using software, however now that you have moved from TT, your number has been returned to BT Retail as the owner, and TT would not be able to give you the number back,

If you look up your old address using the broadband availability checker, it will tell you which exchange you were connected to.

Then do the same for your current address, and see what exchange you are now connected to. If they are the same, then it should be possible to get your number back, but it would need manual intervention.

If its a BT Business number, then this forum cannot help, and you would have to ask on the BT Business forum. I suspect that this may be the case, as you are not allowed to use a residential service for business use.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Thank you for that information.

I have just got off the phone from Talk Talk and they said that BT never requested for the number to be ported so it would just have been cancelled. They also said there is no such thing as a Talk Talk only cabinet and that the number has been returned to BT.  It looks as though BT have been lying to me for the last four weeks just to cover their mistake. It appears that BT sales staff has a culture of doing the absolute minimum to get their commission and have no concern for the customer at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

TT do have their own equipment installed in the exchange, not in a cabinet, they simply rent a pair of wires from Openreach.

It would not have made any difference if BT had requested the number, as it would not have been physically possible to provide it from a different exchange.

You need to do the check I suggested, to see if you are still connected to the same exchange.

A quick way is to use the BT Broadband Availability Checker, as that will tell you the exchange name.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.address

You will need to use the address checker against your old address, then do the same for your current address. If you could please do that, and see what the result is.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 29

It’s possible that when you moved , if your new address was served from a different exchange to your previous address , then TT shouldn’t have allowed you to take the number to that new address, and if that’s the case , although it was useful to you then , it causes problems subsequently.
If your old address and new (current) address are connected to the same exchange and the TT home move wasn’t against the rules then there may be a chance of getting the number back.
If you have FTTP in an area that also has a copper pair service ( basically not a new build ) then there are two ways of getting telephony, ‘FVA’ , fibre voice access, where the telephony is VOIP and delivered over the fibre ( new builds have this as there isn’t a copper pair alternative ) or the telephony continues over the copper pair and only the broadband only is delivered via the fibre.
It’s being wise after the event , but you probably should have moved your regular phone and broadband to BT then upgraded to FTTP, as FVA numbers may be different to the your serving exchange number range and by asking to keep the number they would have left the telephony on the copper pair line.

If the two addresses are from the same exchange, then your number will be going back to the number range holder (BT) and when out of quarantine, it should be available for allocation, so you order a new (copper pair) line and try and get your old number allocated to it, then you could then cease your FVA number and have telephony over copper and FTTP broadband , but this may take a little management of the process , probably not something you could do on line or via the normal sales channels , you may need the help of a BT staff member with the necessary accesses and experience. 
If the ‘new’ address is from a different exchange you won’t get the number back, unless you try and get a VOIP provider to ask BT to port it to them, and then they deliver it to you over your FTTP, I assume there wouldn’t be a problem having 2 numbers on FTTP, your BT FVA number and one from a VOIP provider,( the one you want)  but there isn’t a guarantee that a VOIP provider can ask BT for what is effectively a non working number to be ported, you would have to ask the VOIP provider this

Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

I will give that a go. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Just tried it but comes up as address checker not found.

0 Ratings