Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 29

Re: BT lost my phone number

@Stairguy wrote:

Just tried it but comes up as address checker not found.

Try

Broadband availability checker

Then use the address checker link from there. Not sure why the direct link I posted did not work.

If both exchanges are the same, then all it needs is a manual renumber request.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 29

It looks as though my new number comes from Hook and the old number from Basingstoke and some how it has been routed to Hook for the past two years. I would have thought with modern technology it would be easy to do that again.

I'm now assuming the BT sales staff would have had that flagged up when they tried to do the transfer but then afraid of losing the sale, just ignored the problem and ticked the box for a new number.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

TT should not have allowed you to move the number out of the exchange area. There is nothing that can be done about it, as your number would be physically mapped to an exchange Remote Concentrator in Hook exchange, so unless you move to somewhere which is connected to Hook exchange, your number is lost.

BT exchanges are based on old 1970s-1980s technology, and will not be upgraded, as its expected that phone numbers will eventually all be VOIP, and will be an added option on a broadband package.

It may be possible to port it out to a VOIP provider, but I am not sure how you would go about it. BT would also have to be prepared to release the number.

As I am just a BT customer, I cannot suggest any way this can be resolved.

References

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_X_(telephony)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Y

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 29

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

as each physical exchange has its own number allocation which cannot be changed, as its defined in hardware.

That isn't actually the case - it's all done in software, but they are allocated ranges.

Porting from the original exchange is done in software, as long as the gaining exchange has software built to handle the customer number (not to mention phsyically cabled to the exchange - to which the software will point).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 29

@Andy_N wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

as each physical exchange has its own number allocation which cannot be changed, as its defined in hardware.

That isn't actually the case - it's all done in software, but they are allocated ranges.

Porting from the original exchange is done in software, as long as the gaining exchange has software built to handle the customer number (not to mention phsyically cabled to the exchange - to which the software will point).

Its a while since I worked on the exchanges, so I agree that the OMC can issue commands to change equipment allocations, but I did not think they could allocate a number outside of the allocated range for that exchange. The only solution then, was an expensive Out-Of- Area Exchange line.

Its the physical connection to the exchange that is the issue.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 29

Thank you all for your help.

I don't have a resolution but I have finally found out what has happened and it is simply that the exchange is full and BT has no spare ports. By all accounts they can't take over the port I was connected to as it belongs to Talk Talk so I was connected to the next nearest exchange. When the sales staff tried to port the number, they found out it was not possible but went ahead with my contract anyway.  It now transpires that anyone who is not an existing BT customer in our area will not be able to retain their number. They say the person involved in my case should not have said I could keep my number and is being investigated and will be given further training. This is obviously just fobbing off again as anyone else who signs up to BT from our area won't be told there are no ports available, they will just be told that 99% of the time customers keep their number, when in fact anyone other than BT customers connected to the Hook exchange will have zero chance of keeping their number. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 29

Who told you this as it sounds like a lot of nonsense....basically the DP your home is served from , this could be a telegraph pole , or underground joint, has a cable that goes back to one exchange , that exchange is the serving exchange for that address, and unless the address happens to be on an exchange boundary where overhead DP’s from either side can ‘hit’ your house, then you will only ever have service from one exchange.
BT has no spare ports ?, exchange equipment isn’t referred to as ports, and its extremely unlikely there is no exchange equipment spare , infact what do you think is currently providing your dialtone .
Number portability was never designed so that you could take a number with you wherever you move to , it was to remove a barrier to switching providers at the same address, when you move, if the serving exchange is the same at both addresses then that isn’t porting that’s just a home move, if you move to a different exchange area then you should really get a number from that exchange number range, porting is to move between providers, not moving between addresses.

Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 29

I moved two years ago and made sure I stayed in the same area code, the number came with me, I was with Talk Talk. My neighbour is in the same position and was with Talk Talk. The neighbour on my other side has also taken up the fibre and retained his number, but he was an existing BT customer so already had a BT connection in the exchange. They say the exchange is full and openreach will not expand it. I assume it is an old exchange and they are putting their efforts in to the new ones rather than updating the old.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

I very much suspect it is VDSL ports they are talking about and that the cabinet is full (quite a common occurrence) and somehow (not sure how) you have been connected to a different cabinet which is in turn connected to a different exchange. You are possibly located at the boundary of 2 exchange areas with a DP fed from 2 cabinets.

Losing your number in that situation is just collateral damage to allow you to get fibre broadband.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 29

I am beginning to think that openreach wants to actually close the small exchange completely and have everyone move to the moor modern exchange, so every time someone changes provider that port or whatever they are called is left vacant.

0 Ratings