cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 29

Re: BT lost my phone number

I have realised that Openreach and BT have a deal for supplying the FTTP Broadband which excludes the other providers. If they had allowed us a connection in the local exchange I would have been able to switch providers when my contract is up, (now they have already fitted the overhead cable) but as things stand at the moment I can never leave BT. The only way I and other customers could leave BT is to go back to 1mb broadband and have yet another new number. I think this has been their objective all along and unless Ofcom can make them treat FTTP under the same rules as underground broadband I can't see it changing. Every other excuse I have had up to now has just been to hide the real agenda.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 29

Openreach provide FTTP, but its up to individual Service Providers to decide whether to supply it to their customers. There is no exclusive arrangement between Openreach and BT Retail, as this would not be allowed by Ofcom.

There are other providers who do sell FTTP other than BT Retail, you just need to look around.

In some cases, a new build developer may choose BT Retail as an exclusive provider of FTTP, for an agreed period of time, but the infrastructure is still provided by Openreach.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 29

There is no ‘deal’ between BT and Openreach as you suggest , it simply isn’t allowed , and anyway if that were true what about the 5 or 6 other company’s you could have used initially or could move to at any time (obviously moving within a minimum term could incur penalties)
Just because the alternative FTTP providers using OR infrastructure are not particularly cheap isn’t down to ‘BT’ and if the likes of Talk Talk or Sky don’t offer FTTP over OR then that’s something you could take up with them....you are perpetuating the myth that only BT can use OR FTTP and it’s just not true
0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 29

None of the other companies would offer the service, they said it was only available to BT. I asked Talk Talk to supply me but they said they had no deal with Openreach to use the FTTP, I checked the other companies using the broadband checker and they all came up saying sorry we can't supply you at that postcode. If BT are the only company that can afford to pay Openreach then they must have a better deal than is being offered to the other companies, what other explanation can there be.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 29

TBH, you are asking on a BT Consumer forum why company’s such as TT and Sky don’t offer FTTP over Openreach, that is a question for them rather than BT, and TBH asking the first line telephone support of those company’s is a little pointless as frankly the are not going to be involved in such policy matters..apparently Sky have commented that they intend to start offering FTTP over OR but no dates or prices have been published yet.

You ask what other people explanation can there be apart from a sweetheart deal between BT and OR but if there was Ofcom would intervene , OR offer wholesale access at the same price to anyone who wants to offer service , so whatever BT ‘pay’ OR, it’s the same price that Sky or TT would pay, these prices are even shown on the OR price list.

A possible reason why TT and Sky are reluctant to offer FTTP service is that both are LLU providers , in other words they rent a copper pair local loop from OR for around £7 a month then charge you around £20 for it , and then add services over it, (quite a mark up ) if they sell FTTP then it’s not LLU , so they don’t make as much out of ‘line rental’  , so maintaining the margin is probably the reason

There are alternative OR FTTP providers , not just BT , but comparison sites don’t list every company and usually expect a bit of a kick back from the company’s they do list ( that’s how they make money ) these other providers are not going for customers where price is the only consideration, they tend to be on the premium end of the market and trade on better customer service and technical knowledge , some consumers are prepared to pay extra for such things , and presumably these company’s don’t want  to pay to appear on comparison sites, a simple search will find these other ISP’s

clonk
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

Lots of helpful people are telling the OP why they have ended up in this situation, but the OP is still the innocent party who's been inconvenienced by BT. if TalkTalk haven't reallocated the number then BT could pay them to redirect the calls to the new number.

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 29

I have tried that, I even offered to pay for the redirect, answerphone message for six months and offered to pay for two contracts but they will have none of it. I think the truth lies in what a previous contributor said, If I had moved to BT with a standard phone line and added the fibre later, I would have stayed at the local exchange and everything would have been fine. They just don't want the customer to change to another provider after they have paid Openreach to fit the line to the House, even after the 18 month contract.

0 Ratings
clonk
Contributor
Message 28 of 29

Still seems odd - so you can't recontract to TT just for phone? Did OR remove all of your original copper line? When I switched to FTTP (simultaneously switching from TT to BT), the old copper remained on the DP. If so could OR splice the copper part of the new cable to the old copper. 

0 Ratings
Stairguy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 29

As soon as I realised that BT had not transferred my number I told them I wanted to cancel my contract and go back to talk talk and they said I could but I would not get the number back. Talk Talk said I could take out a new contract with yet another new number and then request my old number back but that it was unlikely to be successful.

The openreach engineer that fitted the new line from the pole to the house removed the old line and said he had connected the new line to the same connections as the old line. I had the engineers number and rang him when this saga started and he said it is simple to put a divert on it from one exchange to the other but everyone else that I speak to have given many different reasons why it can't be done, this is why I think it is down to BT protecting their investment in putting the line in because in theory once the line is in I could have gone to any other provider. As it stands I have to stay with BT until openreach makes the cost viable for the other providers.

BT even had the cheek to offer me three months free broadband because of the **bleep** up.

0 Ratings