Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljm
Expert
Message 1 of 8

BT (scam?) calls happen immediately after posting on Community pages

Go to solution

I think there is a link between BT scam calls and posting problems on this Community.

It's certainy happened to me a few times................ the last only a few weeks ago following my problem opting out of BTWifi which I posted.  Within minutes, I got a scam call pretending to be from BT and only a few mins. ago I got a phone call purporting to be from BT (and for the very first time it was an English native speaking lady).  She knew my name, landline no. and that I had sent emails to BT re my BTWifi.............. so god knows how she knew all that.  The no. she called from was similar to a BT no. too.................08000285085.

Come on BT, you've got to admit this is a massive coincidence NOT!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT (scam?) calls happen immediately after posting on Community pages

Go to solution

@ljmwrote:

I think there is a link between BT scam calls and posting problems on this Community.

It's certainy happened to me a few times................ the last only a few weeks ago following my problem opting out of BTWifi which I posted.  Within minutes, I got a scam call pretending to be from BT and only a few mins. ago I got a phone call purporting to be from BT (and for the very first time it was an English native speaking lady).  She knew my name, landline no. and that I had sent emails to BT re my BTWifi.............. so god knows how she knew all that.  The no. she called from was similar to a BT no. too.................08000285085.

I think that is a genuine BT number.  Ring it and see waht you get.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@ljmwrote:

What you're suggesting would be almost impossible, to do it would require the following :

Your phone number is not listed on your profile, so where would that come from ?
Your email would have to be linked to your BT ID, In order to find your account details, this is not a requirement to signup to the community forum.
Forum users use a nickname, I can assure you my real life name is not Richie.
BT would have to support this, the moderators are the only ones who have access to community profiles, so all of them would need to be dodgy, how would a huge company like BT find and employ scammers for the sole purpose of scamming you ? It would only take 1 whistleblower if this was a thing.
Why would BT do this ? all revenue needs declared, so why would a billion pound company risk it for a few grand at most.

The most plausible scenario is you contacted BT for help, frustrated by the lack of help you come to the forum, eventually someone from BT picks up your existing query and contact you.

Also the number you posted isn't valid, either you posted wrong or the number was spoofed, which is easy to do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

concensus of opinion is the number is a genuine BT number but as scammers can spoof any number I would be very cautious

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

@ljmwrote:

What you're suggesting would be almost impossible, to do it would require the following :
The most plausible scenario is you contacted BT for help, frustrated by the lack of help you come to the forum, eventually someone from BT picks up your existing query and contact you.

Also the number you posted isn't valid, either you posted wrong or the number was spoofed, which is easy to do.

Hi I think you might find that the number is correct.  For BT ringing you back I THINK

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi I think you might find that the number is correct.  For BT ringing you back I THINK

You're right sorry, I missed a zero in the 08000 at the start.

0 Ratings
ljm
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Apologises to BTas Ive just had a call from the same number, but this time I know it was genuinely from BT as the operator gave her name this time which I recognised as being the person who had originally helped with my BT Wif issue and what she said made sense. Can't blame me for being suspicious though with all these calls purporting to be from BT when they're not.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @ljm ,

It always pasy to be careful !!

0 Ratings