Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

BT scam today

Hello

I've just had 2 calls on my landline.  One call was caller display said international I Googled the area code came up senagal, then exactly 15 mins was second call claiming from BT if didn't press 1 they would cut me off. 

I put phone down.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT scam today

It seems like thes scams are increasing, I had something similar the other day. I came home to find a message waiting for me on my answering machine, it was an automated voice saying "Press 1 to be connected to a technician". The calling number was reported by caller display as being a Malaysian one.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 9

@V_Meldrewwrote:

It seems like thes scams are increasing, I had something similar the other day. I came home to find a message waiting for me on my answering machine, it was an automated voice saying "Press 1 to be connected to a technician". The calling number was reported by caller display as being a Malaysian one.

Hi @V_Meldrew ,

Do you have BT Call Protect installed or a call blocking phone connected ?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hi @pompey1898 .

Yes I do but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it only works with UK numbers.

I'm not worried about it, just cheesed off like a lot of people are especially as I thought I'd taken measures to automatically send all unrecognised callers to the BT answering service

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Hi @V_Meldrew ,

Call Protect, if you have it set, should block genuine international number.  What it cannot do is block the spoofed VOIP generated numbers by the the scummers ( not a spelling error ).

0 Ratings
L3
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Yes I have BT call protect set up. 

I've just had another call at 2pm from 0203 number a very foreign woman today claiming from BT.

When I answered it took long while for the foreigner to talk,  she didn't say like good afternoon and your name wouldn't BT say hello Mr or Mrs ?. 

Something bout BT lines being hacked in recent weeks 

Anyone else had this

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

@L3wrote:

Yes I have BT call protect set up. 

I've just had another call at 2pm from 0203 number a very foreign woman today claiming from BT.

When I answered it took long while for the foreigner to talk,  she didn't say like good afternoon and your name wouldn't BT say hello Mr or Mrs ?. 

Something bout BT lines being hacked in recent weeks 

Anyone else had this

This is a very common scam and has been around for years now. They sort of started by saying " your connection has been compromised by someone in California", then changed to a variation on a theme.

All of these scams are in essence the same - trying to scare the called person into reacting and making them share their computer remotely and details stolen in the background.

0 Ratings
Maddog65
Message 8 of 9

Hello, glad I'm not the only one whose had this scam contact me today. My call came in at lunchtime on my landline warning my BT account will be deleted within 24 hours if I don't contact them using two number options. I tried option one and got an Indian sounding woman in a call centre [back ground sound]. She was quite rude and demanding, insisting on knowing what I had connected to the internet as this was being hacked by scammers and she would reset my BT broadband and account.

Alarm bells sounded....she didn't confirm any security details or account number. She was insistent on me accessing my laptop and would guide me through the procedure whilst I was online.   

I'm retired but still savvy. Needless to say I politely declined the offer and told to take a walk into the sunset. 

Glad to see other BT customers have declined their attention and hope no one falls for this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@Maddog65wrote:

Hello, glad I'm not the only one whose had this scam contact me today. My call came in at lunchtime on my landline warning my BT account will be deleted within 24 hours if I don't contact them using two number options. I tried option one and got an Indian sounding woman in a call centre [back ground sound]. She was quite rude and demanding, insisting on knowing what I had connected to the internet as this was being hacked by scammers and she would reset my BT broadband and account.

Alarm bells sounded....she didn't confirm any security details or account number. She was insistent on me accessing my laptop and would guide me through the procedure whilst I was online.   

I'm retired but still savvy. Needless to say I politely declined the offer and told to take a walk into the sunset. 

Glad to see other BT customers have declined their attention and hope no one falls for this.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

There are actually a lot of posts on this topic in these and other forums. It's a worldwide issue, and the scammers will keep calling because people do fall for it unfortunately. If no-one did, they wouldn't do it.

It may sound like a call centre, but some of these scammers are simply in a small office playing a CD of office background noise - to make the person being called believe it's a large company calling.

All they try to do is, as you say, access the computer using remote software and ask for control - at which point they hide what they are doing as they try to steal user details and files etc.

I always wind them up, and often ask if their mother knows what they are doing for a "job" etc, have 6 computers, a handful of Macs, only use a tablet and all sorts of things.

0 Ratings