Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lochty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT unable to take over landline

Go to solution

I first placed an order for a BT package about a month ago to be activated in a rental property i was moving into in a few weeks time (I knew the property was vacant and had been for a few months). The following day BT dropped their prices and i was told to cancel and reorder to get the new deal. Since then i've had at least EIGHT orders placed and it's been sent to the offline team more than once and i've lost count of the amount of calls i've placed. Finally, after noticing the latest order had been cancelled and i'd not been given a new one, i called up BT again. This time the person i spoke to said there was another account under the name of someone else active and that i'd need to try and get it cancelled or pay for a new line instead.

Since i'd actually moved into the house at this point i'd been able to confirm there was an active line, it's a different phone number (I checked using 17070) than the one i was issued with my own orders and the broadband sync speed is at a lower rate than the package i've been trying to get. The landlord is going to try and attempt to contact the previous tenant for me, but since the property was vacant for several months i doubt they were knowingly paying the bill and they may not want anything to do with it.

I placed the original orders based on the reward card, third party cashback and current deal offers and all these cancellations and propblems have now left me with no idea what i'm actually qualifying for if this is eventually sorted out. I currently only have the mobile phone part of my package active and it's not even got a reliable enough signal for me to use anyway. The live chat person i spoke to about a signal booster linked me to the BT shop, but i can't find anything relevent there anyway.

Is anyone able to offer any advice on this? I'm perplexed that BT would suggest i pay to install a new line just so they can keep charging someone who doesn't live in the house and may never pay the bill anyway. And i'm annoyed that it took a month and countless people looking at the account before i was told there was an active account in another name that would prevent the order anyway.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT unable to take over landline

Go to solution

Hi @Lochty

Thanks for posting, I think you need the answer to a few questions...

Normally if you are to take over a line you would need the consent for the line to be handed over, or for a cease of the services and to close the account by the named account holder. Which is why they are talking about a new line.

The Signal Assist Box( Link ) connects to the Home Hub and creates a signal of around 15m and routes your calls via wifi.

In regards to the way forward and what rewards you maybe entitled to, I think the best thing to do is ask one of the moderators to pop here and have a chat and see what advice they can offer or if they can help directly. They are fairly busy so you may need to check back.

Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

@Lochty I'm sorry about the problems getting your BT services connected. There are some instances when we are unable to take over a line that is already working, if you send us over your order details on the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile we'll be happy to take a look at this for you.

You'll see the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Highlighted
Lochty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'm not sure why but searching for the mobile signal booster on the BT shop just does not find it for me.

I've sent a message with my details over to mods now. I was sent another new order reference earlier today, but i've no idea if it's due to the previous tentant being in touch or if someone is trying to force through the order again. It got as far as my router and tv box being dispatched before so i'm hoping mods will be able to see if this order is destined to fail or not as well.
0 Ratings
Lochty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

My phone and broadband were successfully activated today. Smiley Very Happy

There are a few other order issues that still need resolved that i'm hoping to get help with, i'm not sure if a new thread is required or if someone can pick up from this one?

My original order included tv/free BT sport. I don't have access to this yet as my original order was stripped down to just the mobile sim and the latest one only sorted out the landline and broadband.

The new phone and broadband account needs merged into my existing mobile one, i can't currently view anything other than mobile usage because the email used for both accounts was the same and i can't activate a second account on it.

My reward cards have been affected by the problems, i'm missing the £130 broadband one completely and the £70 mobile one can't be selected under my rewards at all.

It's not yet been declined, by my topcashback will presumably be affected so i'll need the correct reference information or for some intervention to get this sorted as well.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Lochty good news! But yes, it sounds like we need to take a look at the account and clear everything up 🙂

Please send us your details - if you go to my profile page you'll be able to fill in our contact form.

Thanks

Lochty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

I waited nearly a week just to be told to call the general 0800 800 150 phone number Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Lochty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Topcashback have now, as expected, declined the transaction. I need someone to have a look at things and provide me, or them with the appropriate information to confirm my order was eventually put through. TV/Sport is still awaiting activation (should go live on the 4th) but the order is in and the landline/broadband/mobile  should all be merged now as well.

I'm also still missing my £130 broadband reward card. The reward card for the mobile account was replaced with credit, i'd be fine with this as again if it gets this whole thing sorted at last.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@Lochty sorry about that we can contact the cashback and rewards card teams for you.  Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Lochty

I tried calling you back today but wasn't able to catch up with you.

The reason for my call was to let you know that I had passed your original order details over to my colleagues.  They have found your claim that way for both the top cash back and the reward card.  Due to the order being cancelled and a new order placed to get services connected they've processed both for you manually.

You will receive the topcashback payment within the next 30 days and the reward will be sent through the post.  This will also be within the next 30 days.

I'm out of the office after today however I'll give you a shout when I'm back to check you've received both before closing things off from here.

Cheers,

Robbie