cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT2700 handsets - call volume fades away.

Go to solution

@stevemccallum71 wrote:

I'm not at the property, so will have to ask my Dad to investigate this at the same time as trying to unplug the Smart Hub - hope to have answers tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Steve

Thats not a problem, hopefully we can eliminate a number of possibilities.

The main way to prove this, would be to plug the phone, and nothing else, into the "test" socket, which would be located behind the front part of the socket, depending on what master socket has been fitted.

Its quite possible to have a "voice" fault that does not affect broadband. I assume the old phone that he had was fine even after the master socket was changed, and the problem has only started since he got the new phones?

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

Hi Keith -

Right, so I’ve spoken with my Dad. 

His newly-fitted master socket closest resembles number 2 of the examples you posted, though it’s a slightly different shaped top - it says Model 5C on it if that helps?

I got him to unplug the SmartHub from the microfilter and then I called him back to see if it had any effect on the ‘fading’ issue. After 5 minutes, my Dad reported that the call was fading, to the point that he could no longer make me out - the call doesn’t disconnect, it simply fades to a level that makes hearing impossible.

So, next, I got him to remove the front faceplate of the master socket and plug his phone directly into the test socket…I called him back. We spoke for over 10 minutes and the call remained clear and loud - seemingly no problem (which normally arises between 1 - 5 minutes of calling)

In terms of ‘which problem came first’, it’s hard to say as the new phones were purchased at pretty much the same time the new master socket was fitted. (NOTE: The phones are BT4500, not BT2700 as previously posted.) Prior to that, my Dad had problems with his phones & broadband, due to internal wiring issues at the property. This has since been fixed by having brand new wiring installed in the house, along with the new master socket. So his broadband is now up to scratch, but we have this issue with the phones now.So new wiring, new master socket, new SMARThub, new BT phones.

Also, I should mention that there are no other working sockets in my Dad’s house - just this one new master socket. The old wiring network was disconnected when we had the new master socket fitted. So, there are no other devices plugged in anywhere else, not are there any other sockets in service.

Hope this helps narrow down what the problem is? Any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for that, yes its the 5C.

The fact that it does not fade in the test socket, could mean two things.

1) The socket is faulty, unlikely.

2) There is some wiring still connected to the extension terminals of that master socket.

If you look at this picture NTE5C terminals for extension wiring

then if there are no other extensions, then there should be nothing connected to that connector.

When plugged into the test socket, anything that is still connected to those terminals, is disconnected, so that implies that there are wires connected there, and that is causing the problem with the phone fading.

Can you ask him to check that, by removing the cover again, and taking a look?

The next stage would be to plug the microfilter into the test socket, and then plug the phone and the home hub into the microfilter.

That should give both broadband and phone connections.

Can you check whether the call fades with that arrangement?

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. Understood. Will get my Dad to have a look inside the master socket and then try the microfilter directly into the test socket, with both phone and SmartHub connected. Will get back to you. Thanks. Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks, its going to be the only way to prove this, especially as its fine in the test socket. I would not be surprised if wires have been connected to those terminals by mistake, as they are only used for extensions.

There may be some old wires that are going nowhere, but are reducing the line voltage on the phone.

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

I'll see if I can talk my Dad through getting a photograph, though that may be tricky as he's no spring chicken or digital whizzkid. Thanks again. Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

@stevemccallum71 wrote:

I'll see if I can talk my Dad through getting a photograph, though that may be tricky as he's no spring chicken or digital whizzkid. Thanks again. Steve

It would be very noticable when plugged into the test socket, you can see it on the left side of this picture, in blue.

NTE 5C - testing from test socket

That picture shows how to connect it up, as I described.

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

Thank you. Just so I'm clear, there should be NOTHING connected to the blue plastic connector? I'll get him to look and do the microfilter into test socket suggestion you made. Will keep you posted. Thanks. Steve 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

That is correct, if all the extensions have been disconnected, there should be nothing on those blue terminals, as they are only there to wire extensions from.

If there are wires connected, then they need to be removed, as that will be what is affecting the call volume, as there must be something on the end, or some old faulty wiring.

I assume that its now the only socket in use?

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, this is now the only socket in use. Will get an update as soon as I can. Cheers. S

0 Ratings