cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT2700 handsets - call volume fades away.

Go to solution

Hi Keith - another update and photo for you.

Whilst the connector is clear (rather than blue) inside my dad’s master socket, it’s clear from the photo that nothing is connected to it, so assume that curtails that as a possible source of the problem?

I asked my Dad to try plugging the microfilmer directly into the test socket and then to plug in both his phone and SmartHub - unfortunately, the overhanging design of the Master Socket does not permit enough room to get the microfilmer to engage fully with the test socket, so he was unable to undertake that test.

Hope this additional information helps? Please do let me know what your thoughts are.

Many thanks

Steve

Master socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

@stevemccallum71 wrote:

Hi Keith - another update and photo for you.

Whilst the connector is clear (rather than blue) inside my dad’s master socket, it’s clear from the photo that nothing is connected to it, so assume that curtails that as a possible source of the problem?

I asked my Dad to try plugging the microfilmer directly into the test socket and then to plug in both his phone and SmartHub - unfortunately, the overhanging design of the Master Socket does not permit enough room to get the microfilmer to engage fully with the test socket, so he was unable to undertake that test.

Hope this additional information helps? Please do let me know what your thoughts are.

Many thanks

Steve

Its most likely due to poor contact beween the front part and back part which is causing the issue, especially as the cable seems to be coming in from the front instead of the back, which is wrong, as its going to stop the bottom part locating properly.

The cable should come up at the bottom wall, and enter at the back. I wonder who did that?

As for the issue with the microfilter, the lead on the microfilter should be plenty long enough to plug into the test socket.

Most microfilters look like this Microfilter and the lead is plenty long enough.

I would diagnose the fault as a poor contact between the bottom part, and the test socket, due to the way it is wired.

Can this be sorted by yourself, or by someone else?

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

Hi Keith -

Another update.

My Dad managed to locate a wired microfilter (the one he had been using was one of ones without wires). Plugged it directly onto the test socket and then plugged in the phone and SmartHub - all works and I managed a 10 minute+ call with him without any fading.

He has since replaced the master socket cover and plugged the wired microfilter into the outside of the master socket as is the norm. We have only conducted one test call like this, but it didn’t fade - will try a few more calls today and see if the problem appears to be rectified.

So, it could be that we were dealing with an iffy microfilter. Or it could be that as per your suggestion, the wiring was preventing a good connection between the front and back of the master socket and that in opening/reclosing and using a different microfilter, it’s managed to engage properly. Either way, it’s seems to have done the trick for now, but we’ll keep a close eye on it.

With regard to who wired it that way - the Openreach engineer did. We had a brand new wire run from the junction box on the outside of the house, through to an existing socket location, which was replaced with a brand new master socket. It was always going to be a bit of a ‘bodge’ as hiding the wires and running them through the walls was not an option without incurring some serious costs & disruption. Hence why I suspect the wire is where it is. My Dad did say there is a recess notch in the front of the master socket that allows for this wire to come in where it does, so as far as he can see the 2 parts of the master socket do seem to be engaging with each other.

I’ll continue to monitor it, and if the problem comes back, we have a very good idea what the problem now is.

Thank you ever so much for all your help & expertise - hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

My conclusion is  a bad connection between the front faceplate and the test socket, possibly due to a poor initial connection due to the wire restricting the movement (most likely), or some oxidisation of the connections.

Removing and replacing it, has cleared the poor connection, so as you have said, you will need to keep a check on it. But you now know what the fix is, and can revert to using the test socket, if the problem re-occurs.

I am pleased that the problem is now resolved Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks keith - I shall keep a link to this thread in case I need to refer back to it. IF the problem does reoccur, what's the best way to proceed? Requesting an engineer? Also, if I do need to contact BT, is there a way to loop them into this thread so they can see the backstory?

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

As it works in the test socket, then a charge may be raised if a visit is requested, so it would be best to simply use the test socket with the microfilter, as there is nothing in that front section that is functional.

0 Ratings
stevemccallum71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

Thank you. Have a great day. S

0 Ratings