cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT6500 & caller display

A couple of days ago I bought this phone, because I am fed up of receiving nuisance calls. However, the caller display would not function, and therefore the call blocking would not work.when I make a call from my mobile, the onscreen display says incoming call, but when I then check the call list, it shows my mane as it is written in the contacts. I do have caller display activated on my Virgin Media line, and it does work on my old phone.
I rang the helpline and was advised to do a base reset, which I did. This did not cure the problem. I rand the helpline a second time, and was told to unplug from the mains, take the batteries out of the handsets, and wait 30 minutes, and if this didn't work, the phone was faulty. Well it didn't work, so I returned it and got a replacement. The replacement does exactly the same, so I called the helpline for a third time. They said that it was unlikely that both phones were faulty, and that there must be a problem with my line. I said that my old phone works ok, to which they replied that the 6500 is very sensitive to line faults, or words to that effect. There are no filters required on the line as my broadband is fibre optic. So it looks like this second phone will also be going back to the shop. I'm very disappointed and frustrated. Has anyone else either had this problem, or solved this problem
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT6500 & caller display

As this forum is for BT Retail customers, who have their phone service or broadband from BT, you would be better asking on the Virgin Media forums, as I think that they use a different form of caller display signal, which may be incompatible with your phones.

Try https://help.virginmedia.com/

0 Ratings
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Oh right. I thought it was for BT products. I'll try Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

I have the same problem with the BT 6500 not always detecting the Caller Display information. The BT Paragon and the BT Decor 1200 have no trouble detecting the number. It looks like a design fault on the 6500.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 5 of 8

@SteveRawlings

Same as I replied on your other post

0 Ratings
SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I have now confirmed that this is a design fault on the BT 6500 base unit.

I have tested two samples of the BT 6500 base unit, and both exhibit intermittent detection of Caller Display (Calling Line Identification) information.  But the more modern BT 8600 base unit works fine in this respect.  The BT 8600 also has a better answer phone.

0 Ratings
the2ems
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

There you go then. BTW, I no longer have that phone 😂

SteveRawlings
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

🙂

It's a shame.  The BT 6500 was so close to being an excellent product.  Its dodgy Caller Display detector let it down.

Those having some old BT 6500 handsets kicking around, but who have upgraded to a BT 8600 base unit may be interested in the discussion at:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Problem-with-contacts-on-BT6500-with-BT8600/m-p/1872497

0 Ratings