cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amunre
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 130

Re: BT6500 not ringing all handsets

Seems that you've found an answer, at least suitable for yourself. As you said though, not a complete solution for everyone. And I agree the non blocking functions are great. I also like the style of the handsets. What a pity that noone in BT has seemingly bothered to sort out this software issue. It makes you wonder how much effort goes into quality control at BT's end. In the days when BT was the good old GPO, technical testing and stuff was done "in house" at the Dollis Hill facility I believe. But there again, telephone instruments weren't sold to subscribers, just rented to them. Technology has made quantum leaps since then, but that doesn't excuse inherently faulty products being foisted on the general public. I have been reading reviews on Amazon about the BT6500 and it struck me as odd that there were only a few complaints about the non ringing issue. Most of the complaints were about poor quality sound. At least that's how it came across to me.

“Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you later.”
Mary Bly
0 Ratings
glossterline
Beginner
Message 72 of 130

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum, but not new to the problem.  The BT helpdesk has suggested resetting base unit, then handsets - even that the landline was faulty, although calls ring on the base unit.  Before I found the forum, BT offered to replace my units which I am now awaiting.  At no stage, did the techies mention that other people have had this problem which I see has been ongoing since March 2013.  I find it incredible that BT is burying its head in the sand, simply ignoring the many complaints registered.  Even the Community Care Manager was reading your comments in March!  Yet no response to date.  If anything amazing happens, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for making me realise I am not alone.

Les

0 Ratings
Libcat
Contributor
Message 73 of 130

Yes, isn't it strange that they are quite ignoring this problem. I'm a "living with it" person, finding that it works if I allow overseas calls. I tried emailing somebody high up and all I got was nonsense about my not being able to block calls. I gave the URL of this discussion but the wretched man had not bothered to read my mail properly
0 Ratings
Bib1
Contributor
Message 74 of 130

And just when you think you're winning, here's another software bug in these BT6500 phones ......
As I've said in a previous post, I have DO NOT DISTURB set to ON and rely on the VIP list to allow some calls to ring.
Today I had just one handset ringing for an incoming mobile number that was not on the VIP list Robot surprised

(NB I don't use any form of call blocking)
So, two bugs for the price of one!

Our old friend, "Not All Handsets Ringing" and now, what shall we call it, "Disturbed by 'DO NOT DISTURB'"?

0 Ratings
Amunre
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 130

Good title. Smiley Wink It's really a shame about these bugs. This might be considered defeatist, but I think that when I get the replacement of the replacement of the original, I'll just hang on to it because I rather like the other functions of the phones. I will hook up one of these £40 CPR Call Blocker jobbies which is presently connected with a Panasonic set and works fine. I wonder though how many sales BT are losing because of the aforementioned device?

Mary Bly
0 Ratings
Highlighted
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 130

Have just had these phones replaced by the shop where i had purchased them in June for the faults listed bellow.

BT 6500 Trio   

All these faults are intermittent.

One or more of the handsets does not ring.

Wrong time displayed on time of received call.

Sometimes not showing the identity of the caller only showing as incoming call.

Some incoming calls displayed as Ringing.

Replaced with another set of BT 6500 Trio,  guess what most of the same faults are still there.

Can any one recommend another trio set of phones with reliable caller display, I know it working on my line as my

other phone is showing name or numbers.

Any body using the Panasonic KX-TG 8563 EB

Just hoping that the shop will give me the option to change or refund.

0 Ratings
glossterline
Beginner
Message 77 of 130

Before I bought the BT6500, I had a trio of Panasonics with caller display.  The phones never gave me any trouble.  The only reason for switching to the BT was to get protection from nuisance calls.

BTW, I notice in a previous post that someone said they'd buy a commercial call blocker for £40.  I've seen these on the internet but do they work any better than the BT phones?

Les

0 Ratings
Amunre
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 130

@glossterline wrote:

BTW, I notice in a previous post that someone said they'd buy a commercial call blocker for £40.  I've seen these on the internet but do they work any better than the BT phones?

Les

As I mentioned in my previous post, my CPR Call Blocker works fine. Out of the box, physically it doesn't look much, just a small rectangular box with RJ45 (?) jacks on it, 2 incoming and 2 outgoing. You use just one set of jacks depending upon which set works for your phone line. What you do is disconnect the line cord from your master socket to the phone and plug it into one of the incoing jacks. You then connect the provided short cable between one of the outgoing jacks and  your phone. That's the connections sorted. To set it up to block different types of incoming calls is a little more complex consisting of a mix of hashes and stars. A bit more fiddly than the user friendly BT6500, but hey we're all intelligent people that can follow an instruction manual. As said before it works fine with a Panasonic base and phones. Just now wondering whether or not it will work with the BT6500 with nothing blocked. We shall see.

Mary Bly
0 Ratings
glossterline
Beginner
Message 79 of 130

Sorry to be such a clown, but how do I check the software version on my BT6500?  I'm sure I have seen it in an earlier post, but can't track it down.

BT sent me a replacement package of three phones and so far I have not had the problem of the additional sets not ringing.  However, what seems to have disappeared is my ability to 'screen' calls being left on the answerphone.  The latter will spring into action, but I can't hear the message or cut in.

Regards to all,

Les

0 Ratings
Bib1
Contributor
Message 80 of 130

@Les glossterline

Software Version:
Press Menu, scroll up two places to Settings, press OK.
Scroll up four places to S/ware version, press OK.
Please post your software version for us all to have a laugh at BT......

Call Screening:
By default, Call Screening is turned 'off' on your new phones.
Turn it 'on' as follows:
Menu -> Answer Phone -> Settings -> Call Screening -> ON.
Now you should be able to press LISTEN while a message is being left and talk to the caller if you wish.

0 Ratings