Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shax71
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT8500 - Sorry you have dialled incorrectly

Hi,

Very recentlty purchased BT8500 but not been able to make calls yet. Have tested old Panasonic wireless phone on master socket and works fine, but BT8500 responds with sorry you have dialed incorrectly. Have tried land lines and mobiles - still get the same error. I'm unsure if it is the handset or wiring in the house so any troubleshooting tips beyond the master socket test would be appreciated (i.e. software reset on BT8500 base station or local settings?)

Thanks,

Scott

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
chime
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT8500 - Sorry you have dialled incorrectly

If you get a dial tone and can call in it's unlikely to be your wiring. I'd suggest starting by watching the screen while you enter a number, making sure it's correctly entered, in case the phone has a faulty keypad.

0 Ratings
shax71
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

The number seems fine on the display and I have the same problem on both wireless handsets.

0 Ratings
chime
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Both wireless handsets? Is this with 2 BT8500s or a BT8500 and the Panasonic that works in the master socket?

If you are having problems using them from a phone extension socket try a quiet line test from it by dialling 17070 and choosing option 2. With a corded phone there should be silence, with a wireless phone there may be a slight hiss. If you hear other noise there is a wiring problem. If you have a test socket behind the master and the same test gives no other noise using it, the problem lies in the house wiring.

The incorrect number message, if spoken, is coming from the exchange. There could be corruption of the number reaching the exchange due to a wiring problem or some equipment in the house.

This doesn't refer to your problem directly but might be worth a read.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10839/kw/interferance/c/1243,1899,1925

0 Ratings
shax71
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

First off, thanks for trying to help. Much appreciated.

With the Panasonic in the master socket, the phone works fine. Inbound and outbound calls. When the panasonic is plugged into the normal socket, this also works fine.

With the panasonic removed and the BT5000 plugged into the master socket, I get the dialed incorrectly error. I've tried with both BT5000 wireless handsets and the same result. Number being displayed is exactly as dialed so don't suspect keypad issues. This is dialing any number including the 17070 number you provided.

Not sure if it is related but I get fantastic FTTC speed on my broadband and when it was being installed the engineer said we had a good line.

The only thing I haven't done is taken the BT5000 to someone elses house to test.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

i would try them elsewhere before going any further
0 Ratings
chime
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I'm still not clear where you are connecting the phones. What is the 'normal socket'? Do you mean test socket (instead of master socket) and master socket instead of normal socket?

It seems unlikely that you have two identically faulty phones so I suspect this is a configuration setting ptoblem. The only setting I can see which would give the problem you describe is if you have anything entered in PBX code in the Base settings (see manual page 54).

0 Ratings
Beagle2722
Message 8 of 9

Hi Have you tried entering a contact in your phonebook and then dialling out ? This way you will know if that side works. On occasions i think that the handset needs to "wake up" adn so doenst always see the first digit, which could account for the number error.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
BORK
Message 9 of 9

I have the same problem!  8500 is brilliant for incoming calls, but outgoing a problem.  It gets a dial tone, but every call comes back with "not able to connect" or similar message.  I have another BT phone set (Diverse 6450) and that works fine - incoming and outgoing.  Phone worked perfectly for 6 months, then gradually became harder to connect calls, now impossible.  I returned the phones to shop, who exchanged for a new set in a sealed box.  

Plugged it all in ....exactly the same problem.  

Called Talk Talk.  BT Open Reach engineer visited and declared the line working perfectly.  Problem must be the phone.

Took 8500 to a neighbours house, plugged it in - and it works!!  Makes calls perfectly.

Spoke to BT Product Support.  New problem to them!  Having described the problem, they are convinced it is a line issue, declaring the 8500 is very sensitive.  The fact it works in neighbours house is proof the phone is OK.  They suspect the line is on the edge of tolerance.

Back to Talk Talk.  Remote testing of line says all OK.  I can have an engineer visit - but will cost me £65 if he doesn't find a fault!  I'm not sure where to turn now - except maybe Which? legal helpline!

Any help with this would be appreciated - its good to know I am not alone!

0 Ratings