cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jass
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT8500 Text Messageshave stopped working - Customer Service is doing me mental harm!

Help ..... Someone ..... please help me!! I have been dealing with the Customer "Service" people for a week now, and I am thinking of suing them for the cruel and unnatural psychological suffering that they are putting me through. I haver a BT landline and BT8500 telephone enabled to send and receive text messages. This has worked fine for at least the last 10 months (and worked fine for 2/3 years on the BT6500 phone that I had previously). About a week ago it stopped working. I can send texts OK, but can not receive them. Incoming text messages suddenly started getting converted to Voicetext. Everything else seems to be fine - making and receiving calls, sending text messages and Caller Display are all OK. I have tried everything I can think of, and every suggestion that I can find in the Forum Messageboards. All the advice (including that from the "Service" Centre) involves Resetting or Reregistering the Text Messaging on the phone. The end result is always the same - it works fine for about 10 minutes, and then a mechanical voice message arrives telling me that I don't have caller display. This is wrong, because I do have caller display and, as I have said, it is functioning correctly. I have re-entered the Service Centre numbers, switched everything off and back on again, in fact, as I said, everything I can come up with. The people on the helpdesk simply don't understand, and don't have the technical competence or the knowledge to deal with anything other than simple, routine issues. One of them couldn't even recognise the model of BT telephone that I am having the problem with, and implied that I must have the wrong model number!! The only avenue they can suggest is to arrange an engineer visit to check the line - this after they claim to have checked the line and found it fully functioning. I have changed nothing; this just suddenly happened, and I don't see how an engineer checking the line is going to help. From the fact that messaging works OK for a few minutes after each reset, it seems highly likely to me that some fault has developed in BT's system that resets itself and registers - incorrectly - that I do not have caller display. All I need is to speak with someone who is technically competent and may have the knowledge to spot or track down the cause of the problem. Regrettably, this appears not to be permitted. I have changed nothing. I just want to have back the messaging service that is sold as a feature of this telephone, and which I have enjoyed, until now, for a number of years. Sorry if I have banged on a bit but I think that may be an inevitable mental symptom arising from trying to make the "Service" centre cowboys understand. Please, someone, help!!! Jass.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT8500 Text Messageshave stopped working - Customer Service is doing me mental harm!

Hi Jass,

I am sorry to hear you are no longer able to received text messages. I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT8500 Text Messageshave stopped working - Customer Service is doing me mental harm!

Thanks PaddyB.

I have sent some details on the 'Contact the Mods' Link.

I hope this is the best way to contact you(?)

Jass.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

that is the only way to contact the mods
0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

OK. Thanks John.  I just wonder3ed whether I should be using PM.

Jass.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

as is says at the bottom of the mods post

When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

OK.  Point taken.

Jass

0 Ratings
Jass
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Aaaarrgh!!!

I have just spent another 25 minutes on the phone with the call centre, having received a call from them to check that the issue with my BROADBAND had been fixed!!!

I have had to explain, again, that the problem is with receiving text messages on the BT8500 landline phone, and they have said that someone will call me by 16th September!  When I asked why the 16th September, they did't know.

I ealier tried to re-open the complaint via the online system, by clicking on the 'NOT FIXED' option, but the system told me that my session had ended and I must start again.  Doing so had exactly the same result.

I have now checked this system again and I see that my complaint is logged as a BROADBAND fault!!

I have now come to the realisation that all the evidence points to the BT complaint handling procedures being cynically set up specifically to deter anyone from pursuing a problem beyond the first couple of calls.

Do BT really hold a corporate belief that antagonising and alienating customers who ask for help is cheaper in the long run than actually fixing things?

I may not be able to keep this up much longer as my blood pressure monitor (like me) is close to breaking point.

Jass.

0 Ratings