cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 35

BT8600 Call Guardian Phone Problem

On Thursday 30th August 2018 our BT8600 Call Guardian phone started to block all callers, including those in our contacts list,  and they were made to announce themselves before being put through. The same thing happened last year and I was told it was because BT Caller Display had been taken off our line for some reason. It was reactivated and has worked OK until last week. 

I reported the fault again and received an email giving the fault reference and that it would be fixed by 6.00pm on Monday 3rd Sept. Around 8.00pm of the 3rd Sept I got my daughter to call and she got through with no problem. This morning all callers were being blocked by the guardian again. I had to turn it off to enable people to get through without announcing themselves.

After a lengthy online discussion today with the BT "helpdesk" I was told that everything was normal with Caller Display and the phone should behave as it should. I checked that the Call Guardian was on but still our contacts can't get through without announcing themselves.

Has anyone any ideas as what could be the problem? 

0 Ratings
34 REPLIES 34
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 35

Re: BT8600 Call Guardian Phone Problem

Is BT Caller Display working or not ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 35

With Call Guardian turned off, is the number of the person calling, displayed on your phone handset display? If not, then caller display is not working on your line.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43242/%7E/why-is-my-caller-display-not-working%3F

Yo can make sure its still part of your service by using this link.

Use this form and select the free BT Privacy and caller display option.

https://secureorder.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?sysid=stc_cms&productId=CON-27455&pro...

Is the facility switched on?

If you've ordered Caller Display check it's switched on by entering the code * # 234 #.

If it's active you'll get the message Caller identity will be displayed. If the facility isn't active then activate it using the code * 234 #.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 35

According to BT it is working.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 35

@George99 wrote:
According to BT it is working.

But do you see the number displayed on the phone? If not, then its not working and, if code * # 234 #. Says its active, the you will need to try a different phone with caller display just to prove whether its really not working. Then report it as a fault, as it can be caused by a faulty exchange line card.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 35

I have checked that it's working using *#234#, but callers in our contact list were still being interecepted last night. I have to out early this morning so I will check it later today and report back. In the meantime I will turn the Call Guardian off so people can get through without announcing them selves.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 35

As I have mentioned, turning Call Guardian off, then seeing if the caller`s number is displayed on the phone, will confirm whether Caller Display is working on your phone.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 35

I have just come back from a Wetherspoons breakfast with 24 ex BT colleagues. We all worked on the Power Division and know next to nothing about telephones.
However, with the Call Guardian switched off the calls come through displaying the caller's name and if they are calling from home, work or a moblle. However, with the Call Guardian switched on the same caller gets intercepted and have to announce who's calling.
Any ideas what causes this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 35

That sound like an issue with Call Guardian itself, perhaps you have set a long "do not disturb" period by mistake, and the people calling are not marked as VIP?

May be worth going through the settings again, just to make sure.

0 Ratings
George99
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 35

Hi Keith
I have no idea how to set a long "do not disturb". I have looked through the menus and I wouldn't be surprised if I haven't changed some settings and given myself more problems.
Do you know if this phone has "Reset to Factory Settings" button?
failing that I will give the helpline a call.
0 Ratings